Vehicle For Transporting Cakes

Business By Saharan1965 Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm by CakeForte

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 16

I am in the market for a new vehicle and Im trying to decide what to get...I have a budget of about 10 grand cause Im paying cash for it. I need to use it for transporting my cakes as well as family use. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? So far Im looking at Magnums and Explorers. Thought about a minivan but I just cant get over the fact of it being a minivan. lol
What works best for you?

15 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 16

Believe it or not I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. I take 6 tiers 2 tiers each in the trunk all the time with the skid free shelf liner. Works for me. If I ever get anything larger somone can hold a layer or two in the car also.

Saharan1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saharan1965 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 16

I didnt even think about skid free shelf liner...I need to start using that. I have a maxima and my trunk is full of stroller. lol If I get a minivan it will be a honda oddysey but Im leaning towards an suv or a magnum. I was also thinking of a kia soul, honda element, or a scion. I cant make up my mind.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 16

I have a minivan with removable back seats. Any big cakes, seats pop in and out with no problem. Oh, by the way, I have a Chrysler Town & Country.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 16

I have a Pacifica with ride stabilizer. Way cool and a must with cakes!!

It senses the road conditions and automatically stabilizes the car making a super smooth ride and drive...even over the pot holes!

Huge cargo area (think station wagon sized area) and a back seat for kids.

Love, love, love it!!

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 16

I have a Chevy HHR. The cargo area plus fold down back seat makes for plenty of room for cakes. I put a rubber slip proof mat in the cargo area, and that works well. Rides smoothly

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 16

I will be purchasing a Nissan Cube. The back end opens like a refrigerator door instead of from bottom to top. So it opens easier and more fully.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:32am
post #8 of 16

been driving a ford explorer for some years..got a new one last year. love ..love.. love..it.. great for my cakes...use thick foam.. and non skid liner.. cakes don,t move

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:53am
post #9 of 16

I have a car, I just built a platform for the backseat. When I do a delivery, I just insert the platform. Then remove it when I am done. It works great. So, maybe you can save your 10K after all!!!! lol jk

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:05am
post #10 of 16

I have a Ford Escape... I like the SUV's since the back cargo area is nice and flat with no odd bumps and bends and the floor is up at a nice level so you don't have to bend over too much. When we upgrade vehicles I am going to get an Expedition. icon_smile.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:21am
post #11 of 16

Honda Element works great, I am not sure about budget.You can fit 5 tiered cake in it without a problem.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:39am
post #12 of 16

Dodge Durango. Great for hauling cakes!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

Honda Element works great, I am not sure about budget.You can fit 5 tiered cake in it without a problem.

I'll second this! I have an Element and I have transported up to a 5 tier cake, all stacked, without any problems. I do have a rug that I purchased in the bathroom section of the store (with the rubber backing) that goes behind the back seat, and I put the non-skid shelf liner stuff over the rug. Haven't had a cake slide yet! Also not sure how much it costs, I bought mine in 04 but don't remember what I paid for it. If it's more than 10k, maybe you could put 10k down on it and finance the rest???

Not related to cakes, but I also have the same kind of rug between the front and back seats, and in front of the front seats. I love the utility floor of the Element, but when it's rainy and wet, sneaker slip and slide on it, lol.

Good luck in deciding what to get!

~Chelle

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I have a minivan with removable back seats. Any big cakes, seats pop in and out with no problem. Oh, by the way, I have a Chrysler Town & Country.

Me too and I love it!!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 16

When we look for a cake vehicle..we look for something that folds down flat. Not all do.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 16

I have a little luxury 4 door sedan LOL. It can hold three - 3 tier cakes without the top touching. MOST of my clients order three tier cakes, a few have have 5+ in which case I just stack on site.

I also use the nonskid liner. Although the better deal is the non skid rug liner. It's a bit wider and longer...but the exact same material.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%