While Waiting To Go Full Time

Business By CBM Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 3:04am by kiikip

CBM Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 4

I may be thinking way outside the box but I'm currently doing cakes part time - want to do them full time. Currently working another job (fulltime)that is so not related, don't really enjoy and takes time away from doing cakes but can't survive without income and benefits. I'm sure I'm not in this boat alone. I've been trying to think of something else I can do (work wise) while growing the cake business that is more related to cakes and/or wedding business but don't know what it could be. My hubby says i can't work for another bakery because it would be competing against myself. I just want to do cakes. But I was thinking maybe trying to work for a caterer, maybe do their cakes and desserts if they don't have anyone. Don't know how practical that is. Anyone have suggestions or is doing something related? Thanks!!

3 replies
manderson19 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 4

I know a lady who worked for a caterer and did their cakes/desserts and had an agreement to do her own on the side as well. It worked out well for her.

HarleyDee Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 4

If you could find a caterer that would let you do their desserts and still do your own on the side that would be great. Also try local owned restaurants. Ask if they need a baker.

kiikip Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

I have my own dessert business and I have been the baker for other cateres who either didn't want to or couldn't do their own baking so they would just order from me, also I have made friends with other cateres that refer people who want cakes /desserts to me and I refer them when someone is looking for a caterer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%