Edible Images

Decorating By irenemurray Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm by linedancer

irenemurray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irenemurray Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 8

How do you get the edible images? Do you need a special printer? Ink? What? I'd love to use some on my cakes but don't know how to get them.
Thanks! Irene

7 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, you need a printer dedicated to edible ink. I use the ink and icing sheets from edibleimages. com. If you go to their website, they have a list of printers that are compatible with their inks and cartridges. They are good people, I highly recommend them.

It costs around $200 -$225 to get set up. However much your printer costs, a set of cartridges, and a refill kit. If you don't want to make that investment, there are places on the net that will print edible images for you, also some local places that print them might do it for you. HTH

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

If you are planning to print just one here and there, it is best to have someone do it for you. Unless you are going to print at least once per week, its just not worth the investment. We print for people and as Springfflower said, some local grocery stores will print for you. If you cant find a local store, you can call us and we can usually refer you to someone in your area.

Now, if you are going to print more than once per week, than you want to purcahse a printer. It is a rather simple concept. You are using a printer that uses edible ink and edible paper. It is stricktly an output process. There are two types of systems out there. Ones that work without the use of a computer, similar to a copier, and ones that use a computer. Since you have a computer, we feel this is the best method of printing, as anything you can get in to your computer, you can print! That means you have access to the whole world through the internet, as long as you are not printing and selling copywritten images. So the next question is do you have a scanner? If you do, you want to use a printer only system. No need to pay for redundant equipment by purchasing a system that has a scanner in it, just go for the systems that only have the printer. If you do not have a scanner, the most cost effective way is to purchases a system that again, is like a copier, only you hook it up to you computer and you use it like a scanner and then you print with it.

Now, what brand of printer. There are two successful brands of printers out there. We have used and trusted the Canon line for 10 years because of the removable printhead. What this means is that if you get a clog in your printer, the Canon printer has a piece that you can pull out and clean and replace if necessary. The other brand is epson. This brand has been used in the industry for about 2-3 years. The printhead is not removable so if you do get a clog, you have a hard time cleaning it. If the clog is cumbersome you have to replace the printer. Once you decide on a printer brand, you need to decide on the company you want to purchase supplies from. Do not purchase a system unless you find the company you want ot work with and verify that the printer is compatable.

Now for choosing a supply company. 1st, check on cake central. You obviously get great feedback here on different types of systems and companies. Once you narrow that down, there are only a few of us out there, than call them. Do you like them. Find out their turnaround times for getting out orders. Are they helpful to you? What do they say about their products. Price is not as important as everyone is pretty competiative with one another.

Now, decide, do you want to purcahse a system from the company you have choosen? The only reason you would want ot is the warranty. Not all edible printing companies offer a warranty. If you purhase a system direct from a store and not an edible image company, then you may find that if CAnon KNOWS that you are printing with edible ink, then they will probably NOT warranty it. Alot depends on the problem. I can tell you that we will help answer any questions you may have either here on cake cenral or you are welcome to call or email. We just cant service a machine we dont sell. You will save money by purchasing the printer on your own, but you will have better help if you purchase through an edible imaging company.
It seems like a lot, but its not really. Just like anything else, you want a company that is there for you and sells a good product and gets it to you in a timely manner.

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to PM me or call.

Thanks and good luck! I hope this is helpful

EdibleSupply-Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleSupply-Com Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

If you are planning to print just one here and there, it is best to have someone do it for you. Unless you are going to print at least once per week, its just not worth the investment. We print for people and as Springfflower said, some local grocery stores will print for you. If you cant find a local store, you can call us and we can usually refer you to someone in your area.

Now, if you are going to print more than once per week, than you want to purcahse a printer. It is a rather simple concept. You are using a printer that uses edible ink and edible paper. It is stricktly an output process. There are two types of systems out there. Ones that work without the use of a computer, similar to a copier, and ones that use a computer. Since you have a computer, we feel this is the best method of printing, as anything you can get in to your computer, you can print! That means you have access to the whole world through the internet, as long as you are not printing and selling copywritten images. So the next question is do you have a scanner? If you do, you want to use a printer only system. No need to pay for redundant equipment by purchasing a system that has a scanner in it, just go for the systems that only have the printer. If you do not have a scanner, the most cost effective way is to purchases a system that again, is like a copier, only you hook it up to you computer and you use it like a scanner and then you print with it.

Now, what brand of printer. There are two successful brands of printers out there. We have used and trusted the Canon line for 10 years because of the removable printhead. What this means is that if you get a clog in your printer, the Canon printer has a piece that you can pull out and clean and replace if necessary. The other brand is epson. This brand has been used in the industry for about 2-3 years. The printhead is not removable so if you do get a clog, you have a hard time cleaning it. If the clog is cumbersome you have to replace the printer. Once you decide on a printer brand, you need to decide on the company you want to purchase supplies from. Do not purchase a system unless you find the company you want ot work with and verify that the printer is compatable.

Now for choosing a supply company. 1st, check on cake central. You obviously get great feedback here on different types of systems and companies. Once you narrow that down, there are only a few of us out there, than call them. Do you like them. Find out their turnaround times for getting out orders. Are they helpful to you? What do they say about their products. Price is not as important as everyone is pretty competiative with one another.

Now, decide, do you want to purcahse a system from the company you have choosen? The only reason you would want ot is the warranty. Not all edible printing companies offer a warranty. If you purhase a system direct from a store and not an edible image company, then you may find that if CAnon KNOWS that you are printing with edible ink, then they will probably NOT warranty it. Alot depends on the problem. I can tell you that we will help answer any questions you may have either here on cake cenral or you are welcome to call or email. We just cant service a machine we dont sell. You will save money by purchasing the printer on your own, but you will have better help if you purchase through an edible imaging company.
It seems like a lot, but its not really. Just like anything else, you want a company that is there for you and sells a good product and gets it to you in a timely manner.

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to PM me or call.

Thanks and good luck! I hope this is helpful

Yes, you need a printer dedicated to edible ink. I use the ink and icing sheets from edibleimages. com. If you go to their website, they have a list of printers that are compatible with their inks and cartridges. They are good people, I highly recommend them.

Dear linedancer:

I can't find edibleimages. com , can you double check the web site?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:43am
post #5 of 8

[quote="EdibleSupply-

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to PM me or call. [/quote]

Thanks and good luck! I hope this is helpfulYes, you need a printer dedicated to edible ink. I use the ink and icing sheets from edibleimages. com. If you go to their website, they have a list of printers that are compatible with their inks and cartridges. They are good people, I highly recommend them.

Dear linedancer:

I can't find edibleimages. com , can you double check the web site?[/quote]

Did you mean Icingimages.com?
Thanks

linedancer Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:44am
post #6 of 8

Sorry, it is icingimages

http://www.icingimages.com/systems.php?link=3

Just had a senior moment I guess icon_redface.gif

irenemurray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irenemurray Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:39am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I did find a local shop that would print for me. I'm picking them up this morning and using them on a monster truck I'm making for my son's 7th birthday. We're using Miami Dophins images on it. Any advise as to the best way to appy? I have some idea but what works best? I've got a few small images and stripes. Thanks, again!
Irene

linedancer Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 8

If it is on fondant, just brush a little water where you want the image to go. I don't work much with buttercream so maybe someone else can chime in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%