Help! Flawless Fondant Finish

Decorating By shey123 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:02am by sugarandslice

shey123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shey123 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

I have recently started to use fondant and gumpaste to decorate both wedding and party cakes. I am having trouble getting a smooth and even finish. My iced cakes start out nice and even and smooth but when I cover them with the fondant you can see a bulge where the layers have icing. I have tried to roll it thicker and I even once applied two thin layers of fondant instead of one thick one. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

5 replies
wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 6
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

I also found that I really have to have a smooth finish on my coat underneath the fondant. I like to use a bit more icing than a basic crumb coat to enhance the taste, so I use a hot knife to smooth (dipped in hot water) then let dry/crust a bit. Works well for me... icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 6

It sounds like your layers might be bulging. This happens when your cake settles after you put the fondant on it and icing and filling smoosh out the sides. Try letting your cake sit for a few hours or overnight before you put on the fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

I also suggest you try using ganache. I've never had a buldge since I started using it.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:02am
post #6 of 6

I second the suggestion of trying ganache, I love it and it sets up so nice and firm that there's no chance of bulging.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%