Trying To Figure Out The Clay Gun/extractor Thing

Decorating By MammaG Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 2:58am by miamorsweets

MammaG Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 13

I am having no luck with this. It took me hours and super sore hands just to get enough to write my sister's name (Sandy). I tried again today thinking I used too much Tylose in my last batch, and I couldn't even get it to do anything this time. Is there a trick? Do I need to coat the fondant/tylose mixture with shortning? What tips do you have so that I can use it? Thanks a ton!

12 replies
Kitagrl Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 13

I wouldn't add has to be pretty soft to go through the extruder. You have to kinda knead it until its really warm and soft, and use shortening as well so that it will go through the holes.

tonedna Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 13

Wich one you have?? Some of them are really hard to work with.
Edna icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 13

I want one, which is the best to get, and the easiest to use?

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 13

Makins. If you're using that crappy little silver thing from Michael's....your hands will fall off.

tonedna Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 13
FlourPots Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 13

It doesn't work well with tylose. It's too stiff, and never comes out clean.

You'll have to hand roll to get a really smooth finish (see the red pool float in my pics).

MammaG Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #8 of 13

Mine came from our local cake store. It's green and all plastic. Maybe I'll try it without tylose, but will it harden?

Thanks so much

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 13
Originally Posted by tonedna

THis is the best one

Edna icon_smile.gif

This is the one Texas_Rose uses. When I tried it at her house all she did was roll the rope and shmear very little Crisco on the outside.

I'm here to tell you I covet it! I own the little short thing; that's red and black; you have to squeeze. It's great for little stuff, but it can't hold a candle to Makins.

FlourPots Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #10 of 13

That's the one I have and love too...problem is, it doesn't work well with fondant mixed with could get by, if it's not a big project, microwaving...that helps, but it's still not as smooth as hand rolling (in my experience).

Jen80 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:24am
post #11 of 13

I have a Makins one too. I use a little Tylose otherwise it breaks off once the pieces get too long (I'm using Fondx, don't know if this happens with any of the others), but I definately don't add as much as I would for anything else.
I also mix in a good amount of shortening.

sweetkake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #12 of 13

I'm using a Makin as well and I like the way it works but I need a bigger tube to hold more fondant. How can I remedy that? Is there a larger one? I was thinking of getting a caulking gun from the hardware with much more space for the fondant. What else can I do? I did a knitting basket and it took way to long to make string for the yarn.

miamorsweets Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #13 of 13

Yes, i would definitely like to know how to make the ropes longer. I have the red and black one and it doesn't hold enough fondant to even make a rope around the base of a cake icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%