Treasure Chest Cake

Decorating By SFcakelady Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 4:07am by luvbakin

SFcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SFcakelady Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone ever make a treasure chest cake? I'm making one this weekend for my son's birthday. Iv'e seen a bunch on this site and was wondering what size pan to use, and how many? I was thinking either a 7X11 or 9X13. I would have to do 3 layers if I go with the 9X13 so I can add hieght. I can probably get a way with 2 layers of 7X11 right? I'm so confused. What is the easiest way to make this cake so it has height but so that it's not a monster? Any advice is much appretiated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

I made one a few years ago for my nephew. It is in my photos. I used 3 layers of 9x13 for the bottom and sculpted RKT on a cake board for the lid. I covered it in chocolate fondant. It was much easier to do than you'd think. The hard part was making all the treasure that went inside and around the cake. That was made from pastillage, sugar, and chocolate.

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 7

I made one at the beginning of summer and I used 3 layers 9x13 and the I of course had to trip it to be square and then used the trimmings on top of those to make it look like the chest was actually hollowed out. I frosted it with chocolate buttercream and took a fork acrossed it to give it texture (he didnt want fondant). I also used RKT on a board for the lid. However, I didnt make all the treasure... that was just a trip to the candy store... lol. Have fun and good luck!

SFcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SFcakelady Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for all the great advice. I was planning on using cake for the lid instead of RK icon_confused.gif , but I'm concerned that it may be too heavy! icon_confused.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely use the RKT for the lid! Much easier to work with and not as heavy!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 7

I made these 2 by cutting a 9x13 in half and stacking the two halves and then made the lids out of rice krispie treats.
LL
LL

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

I made one and the lid was cake too. I used 3 - 9 x 13 cakes for the bottom, and I believe 3 more for the lid. Then I carved the lid. I put the cake for the lid on a covered cake board, and then put wooden supports in the bottom part of the cake to hold up the lid. Worked out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%