New To Airbrushing

Decorating By Edee Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 2:25am by BecuzImAGurl

Edee Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 11

I just got an airbrush for christmas, but was wondering what do I need to know to get started? Anyone know any good blogs or you tube videos that go step by step to show what to do? I am a visual learner so pictures and videos are great for me. Also, I would love to see your cakes made with airbrushing so I can see the possibilities. Please help!

Also, can you airbrush on cookies? fondant? royal icing? ect... any help is greatly appreciated!

10 replies
mommyle Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 11

You can airbrush your first-born if you want to! Idon't know about videos, I have been teaching myself. My best advice is as follows:
1 - make a booth that is completely self-contained, or you will end up with color everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. And it will take months to completely get rid of it.
2 - wear gloves. vinyl, latex, whatever. but wear them. Even when you are cleaning up.
3 - don't touch the cake while it is drying.
4 - apply color in light coats. like painting your nails. a couple of light coats is way better than one thick one. the thick one beads and looks yucky.
5 - let the cake dry between coats.

that's what I've got so far. Have fun!!!! I LOVE airbrushing!!! it is way more versatile than coloring fondant!!!
Good luck!!!

Edee Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11

how long does it take to dry?

mommyle Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 11

I don't really know. I'm too impatient!!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!! I would do a light spray, and wait a half hour, until it doesn't feel tacky anymore. Then do another coat. It will dry in the fridge, if you need it to be refridgerated.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 11

go to They have excellent tutorials on beginner stuff -- not exclusive to cake decorating but certainly helpful.

Edee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:29am
post #6 of 11

thanks, mommyle... i'm pretty impatient too icon_smile.gif

thanks bobwonderbuns- I will check it out.

BecuzImAGurl Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 11

What airbrush you got? I'm looking for one...

Edee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 11
BecuzImAGurl Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 11

thanks! thats the one I was looking at...but I just hoped to get a cheapest one there is...I'm just doing cakes for hobby amd have a tight budget...I guess I can save up =)

Edee Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 11

me too. Just for hobbie and no $$. icon_smile.gif

I hope this one works okay, I haven't tried it yet.

BecuzImAGurl Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #11 of 11

lol...well let me know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%