Retaining The Color Of Gum Paste

Decorating By TexasBeginner Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm by TexasBeginner

TexasBeginner Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 5

Does anybody know what I can add to the gum paste to keep the color from fading? I would like to make some flowers in advance, but I've noticed that after a few weeks the color starts to fade. This is when I actually knead the color into the gum paste.

4 replies
icer101 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 5

keep your flowers covered and out of sunlight or overhead light., etc. i make flowers all the time ahead. they don,t fade. just when any light gets to them.. i use wilton colors.. americolor..etc. they all will fade if light gets to them. hth

cakesage Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 5

Being a newbie myself, I learned the hard way. Made my first gumpaste roses pink. I left them in the sunlight to dry. Next day the flowers were ivory white, yaaaks! I read somewhere that after they are made and dried, they can be stored in a closed shoe box. I believe they last for quite awhile that way and do not fade.

Love to hear some expert advice too!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 5

Some colors are really bad about fading, pink and purple being two of them.

I've also noticed with the gumpaste I have done that the colors often are lighter when they dry. I have no idea what causes this. You can start darker. Plus alot of people use petal dusts to get the truer colors they want as well as to make the flowers more realistic.

TexasBeginner Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%