Need Pure White Cake That Can Be Sculpted

Baking By sweetpea3829 Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm by Marianna46

sweetpea3829 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 8

Ok...I've been looking for a long I need a cake recipe that is pure white when baked. I have to be able to add food color to the batter and have it turn out properly (making a six layer rainbow cake). But it must also be good for sculpting (said cake is to be sculpted into a star).

So far, all recipes I've tried resulted in a white cake with too much of a yellowish tinge to color properly.

I've omitted egg yolks, substituted shortening for butter...the whole nine.

Really...I'd love to be able to just use a Pillsbury white cake mix...but they're not dense enough. Is there anything I can do or change in the box mix to make it more dense? Or any good recipes out there? It MUST be appropriate for carving. I've got other carved cakes coming up (fire truck, ballerina).

7 replies
snocilla Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried WASC with egg whites?

KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 8

white cake mix made per box directions with the addition of one 4oz. box of white choc. pudding mix.......stable enough for carving and perfect for coloring.

Check out this cake I just did for my DD birthday!! You can tell how dense the cake is too!

sweetpea3829 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

K, I'm going to try your idea this's hoping it works!!! And here's hoping I can get white chocolate pudding mix. Thanks!

sweetpea3829 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

K, I'm going to try your idea this's hoping it works!!! And here's hoping I can get white chocolate pudding mix. Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 8

I get it at Wal-Mart, the cheesecake pudding works well too....won't yellow the batter like vanilla

sweetpea3829 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 8

*sigh* Nice flavor, nice color...but not firm enough for sculpting. Thanks though! I think I'll try pound cake again...see if the slight yellow tinge affects the red coloring too much.

Marianna46 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 8

Sweetpea, take a look at "A Better White Scratch Cake" in the recipe section here. I make it with yogurt instead of sour cream and I use 1 cup of milk instead of the 2+ cups suggested in the recipe. I'm pretty sure it will meet all your criteria and it's easy to make. I just made a rainbow-layered cake last week (actually I used a yellow-cake variation of this recipe with butter and 5 whole eggs instead of shortening and the 10 whites, and the colors were superb!). I made a double recipe, divided it into 6 equal portions and put 1/2 tsp. of gel coloring (super red, sunset orange, golden yellow - tho' lemon yellow would probably have been better - leaf green, sky blue and violet (+ 2 drops of burgundy and 2 drops of super red). Best of luck, whatever you try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%