Stacking Question

Decorating By naemsmommy Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm by luddroth

naemsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naemsmommy Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a stacked cake with a 10x3" layer on top of a 14x3" layer. Each layer will be torted and filled. This is the first time I've stacked a cake. If it's only two layers like this, do I need to dowel it and use a cake board under the 10" layer, or can the 10" just sit right on top of the 14" with no support? It's for a shower at my own house, so it won't be traveling anywhere. Is it easier to serve if there is a cake board under the 10" layer?

Also, if I should have a cake board under the 10" layer, I just have the Wilton cardboard ones that are white on top and brown on the bottom. Do I use it like that, or wrap it in foil? I'd rather not have foil because it seems like it would look weird on the cake, but would the cardboard be ok on it's own?

Thanks!

10 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 11

Hi, whatever the sizes of the cakes, I would use a board under the 10" cake and would use maybe 4 dowels. But I'm not sure about the wilton cardboards.

naemsmommy Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 11

OK thanks!

Lalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalady Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 11

You will always need to use some type of support system when stacking cakes. I've started using the SPS system that I learned about on here. Works like a charm.

naemsmommy Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 11

OK, yeah I was really worried about the cake crushing the one below lol. I have to stack this today, so I don't have time to go out and get anything. I just don't know if I'm supposed to use the Wilton boards as is, or covered with foil...

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 11

You could cover your boards with press and seal or a pretty foil if you want, but you should always use cake boards when stacking along with some dowels. There are some excellent tutorials here on cc and on youtube showing how to stack and tier a cake. hth

naemsmommy Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 11

Is press and seal like Saran Wrap? That is a good idea...thanks! I have watched a few videos, hopefully it will go that smoothly lol...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 11

press and seal is like saran wrap, but it sticks itself down to the boards really well so that pieces of it don't come up when you cut the cake. It's made by Glad and comes in a yellow box.

But if all you have is Saran wrap, then use that.

naemsmommy Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 11

Oh OK, maybe I will run out and look for that, thanks!

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, you buy it where you get the saran wrap. It sticks really well. I use it all the time on the stacked cake boards and on the bottom board I use color coordinated foil that I get from Modern Variety store (it's the kind of foil that florists use to wrap their pots in) Flower shops sell it too, and it's really cheap. I also use it to wrap my cakes for the freezer.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 11

It's ok to use the cardboard rounds uncovered. And, yes, it is easier to cut a cake on a board. To stack, you must have the board and dowels or support of some kind. SPS is the best, order it on line, but for today, use plastic straws, bubble tea straws, or wooden dowels -- something pressed into the bottom tier all the way to the bottom board and ending just at the surface to rest the board and second tier on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%