What Kind Of Pans Should I Use?

Decorating By anthropia Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 2:55am by peachiemama

anthropia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anthropia Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 15

Hi y'all, I am new here and new to cake decorating. I was wondering what kind of pans I should be baking my cakes in. I have all sizes of springform pans but no traditional pans. I am starting my wilton 2 class soon and was wondering if I needed to by different kind of pans or can I stick to my old ones?

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 15

Your wilton course 2 kit will have small oval pans. You only make one cake during that course.

Are you looking for other pans?

anthropia Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 15

I am just wondering for the future too. If it is better for me to bake regular cakes (not cheesecakes) in these traditional pans rather than springform pans, or if it doesn't really matter? What is the main difference (except you can remove the bottom) between these pans?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 15

I really like springform pans. The sides are straight, it's easy to get a clean edge on the sides and you have more control over the removal of the pan from the bottom. Just my own preference. I do have square and oval pans in the "traditional" type pan but all of my rounds are springform.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 15

Magic Line pans. Heavy duty with straight sides. Very important when you decide to do square cakes, but not cheap. A good thing to use for cakes not to stick is Baker's Joy with bottom lined with parchment paper, also sprayed with Baker's Joy.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 15

Y'all must have better springform pans than I do...when I've tried to bake a cake in a springform, the batter oozes out between the side and the bottom.

anthropia Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the answaresicon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:11am
post #8 of 15

Best cake pans = Magic Line.

anthropia Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #9 of 15

Okay, I've been looking at Magic Line cake pans today and I am thinking of buying a few.
Then I have another question (maybe stupid, sorry), should I buy two of each size, like two 8x2 and two of 9x2? Or is it okay to divide the batter in two halfs and bake one at a time?

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #10 of 15

I'm not quite understanding your question, but if you have at least 2 of a size you need, it will make baking go quicker. HTH

anthropia Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:29am
post #11 of 15

Yeah sorry, maybe not a good question. I am just wondering if it is okay for the batter to sit and wait while the other half is baking.
My english is bad, sorry. Hope you understand what I mean, and thank you for your helpicon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #12 of 15

Sizka, you are right..two of each pan makes it go much faster. You can do it with only one of each size but it will take you a lot longer.

peachiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachiemama Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #13 of 15

Does anyone know anything about heating cores? Do I REALLY need one? I am making a 12"x3" cake. Can't I just turn the heat down and cook it a little longer?? Also I am slicing the layers, so will it even work right if I use a heating core?? Thank you!
Rachael

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #14 of 15

People have used heating cores and been able to split them down the middle still. My personal expierence is I've made a 16" square before without a heating core, BUT I did use the cooling strips around the outside to keep the edges baking even with the middle. You do not want hard crusty edges.

peachiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachiemama Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #15 of 15

Ok so do I just turn the heat down and cook it a bit longer? I'm not sure of the cooling strips but I'm sure the same place that I am going to buy the pan will have those too. You are right, I don't want crusty edges. This is a cake for my best friend's 30th b-day! I am making a boston cream cake! So I want it to be perfect! Thank you for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%