Buttercream Transfers

Decorating By MammaG Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 3:56am by chefjess819

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 7

I plan on making a buttercream transfer next week. I saw a tutorial here on CC, but I wasn't sure about the icing to use. It says to get store bought icing but not Wilton. I'm not sure what that means. The only icing I can find in any of our stores is Wilton decorator icing. Were would I find the right thing, and what kind of container does it come in? The article on CC suggests Vons, but I've never heard of that.

Any tips on making these would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

6 replies
tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 7

I did my very first FBCT last weekend and just used my regular buttercream for the whole thing, outline and all. I had never heard of Vons either. My turned out just fine.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

I have made several fbct's and only used buttercream. I found it easy to work with and they turned out fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

I have always used my regular buttercream for this.

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

That's a relief. did you use the recipe with butter or just shortning with butter flavor? I use butter in my recipe, but some people like to do that.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 7

I used all butter buttercream (no shortening) with my fbct. I was amazed, several days later all my cake was gone but the fbct and it still looked good and held its shape.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 7

i used canned buttercream from the grocery store, i think duncan hines is the one who puts it out. i just wasnt going to trust my cake to the weather to do my first transfer. i think it turned out great. its the hannah montana one in my photos. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%