Looking For Cake Stores In De/md/dc/va Areas

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 10:59pm by costumeczar

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 24

Do you know of any cake stores in or around the following areas? Baltimore, DC metro (surrounding MD & VA areas), Virginia Beach, Sailsbury, Delaware.

I've been trying to google cake decorating stores in the DC/MD/VA area, but not having much luck. We don't really have any stores in my area (other than the craft stores and one restaurant supply, but not much selection) and I'm tired of online, I really want to go to a brick & mortar store for a change of pace.

We'll be traveling to those areas in the near future and I'd like to try to stop in to at least one. We'll be making stops in Baltimore, DC Metro (surrounding MD & VA areas), and Virginia Beach. Then traveling up the peninsula, through Delaware, then PA on the way to Harrisburg.

Thanks so much for your help!

23 replies
SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 24

I know of three cake stores in that area. The one that I usually go to is Kake Kraft Korner. They are in Ferndale, MD (very close to Glen Burnie). The people there are wonderful. There is also one is Laurel, MD called Cakes Plus. The last one is in Annapolis and is called Annapolis Cake. If you need any more info just let me know.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 24

I like the one in Laurel, Cakes Plus. When we lived outside DC I went there. However there are none near me here in NC.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 24

Richmond, VA-Bakers Kitchen, Sur La Table, Williams- Sonoma
Newport News, Va-Creative Touch
Norfolk, Va-Wine, Cake & Hobby
Virginia Beach, Va- Party Cakes'n Things,We sell all your cake decorating and candy making needs.
www.partycakesnthings.com
I live in a rural community near nothing-close to Walmarts.
Hope this helps.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 24

Cakes Plus in Laurel is a decent store. I have gotten a lot of stuff there in the past.

There's not much beyond Michael's on the Eastern Shore of Maryland/DE. We don't have a lot of niche-interest stores here - there's just not the population.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 24

Here in Wilmington Delaware the best cake supply store is Cannon's Supply Store. I could spend hours in there. Cannon's has a bakery and the supply store is across the street from the bakery.

http://www.cannonscakes.com/Cannons_Bakery/Supply_Store.html

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 24

Fran's Cake and Candy is in Fairfax, VA. It's the only place I know of here in NOVA.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 24

Awesome, thanks everyone!

Oh, my husband's gonna love this. I've got our route there and back planned out, with strategic breaks at cake shops!! icon_smile.gif I'm putting in their addresses in my GPS!

Thanks again!
Barbaranne

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I like the one in Laurel, Cakes Plus. When we lived outside DC I went there. However there are none near me here in NC.

I have been wondering that myself, and looking and looking for a store in NC. Thanks for the info I'll quit looking/searching now. I was hoping Charlotte had something (I don't live in Charlotte but would go there).

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 24

The only one I know about in Charlotte is really small. It's over by the mall in Pineville....totally blanking on the name. There are some strip malls on 51 before you get to the mall and it's in one of those. If you need the name, PM me and I'll ask my sister who goes there. However, it seems she is more of a decorator who also owns a small shop. I was really surprised at how little stuff there was there. But, she did special order some pans for my sister and I don't think we had to pay additional shipping.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 24

I ditto Frans Cake and Candy (www.FransCakeandCandy.com). It's a great store! It's in Fairfax, VA.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 24

I was just going to ask this very question myself (all the shipping costs add up for online stores). I am going to check the nova stores (live in Alexandria, VA). Great thread!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 24

Wine Cake and Hobby in Norfolk(right next to Virginia Beach, you'll have to pass it to get back to the peninsula) is awesome!

http://www.wineandcake.com/

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 24

My old Wilton instructor told me about Little Bitts Shop in Wheaton, MD and I've always wanted to check it out, but I always go to Frans - Sally is the new owner and she always pulls me out of a jam when I forget to order something online icon_smile.gif

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #15 of 24

There's also one in Waldorf, MD called Cakes N Things.

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:05am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeasyoulikeit

Fran's Cake and Candy is in Fairfax, VA. It's the only place I know of here in NOVA.

I love Fran's!!! I live in PA on I-81. In Hagerstown, MD there's Cindy's Sweets. It's ok but Fran's is totally awesome. Love the new location.

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:15am
post #17 of 24

I use Little Bitts in Wheaton, MD. The only problem is that unless you get one of the couple spaces in front of the store, there are parking meters, you have to pay. But it is minimal and I like it there, very friendly staff and tons of stuff to see.

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:25pm
post #18 of 24

I'm from MD...I LOVE Cakes Plus in Laurel, MD..the ladies there are absolutely wonderful..and the turtle brownies are to die for..!! lol lol I've also used Cakes N Things in Waldorf, MD..this one is open on Sunday..great plus! HTH

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:51pm
post #19 of 24

Frans Cake and Candy Supplies

Larger store and plenty of parking. Fairfax County near Fair Oaks Mall

10927 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703) 352-1471

Hours of Operation:
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Closed Sunday.

Sally is the Owner- great store lots of supplies. Right off of main routes(I66- Rt. 50, Rt 29)

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:20pm
post #20 of 24

Another place is Party Cakes N Things in Virginia Beach. It's near the intersection of Providence Road and Kempsville Road. And I also like Wine and Cake Hobbies in Norfolk, VA. Party Cakes just happens to be 5 minutes from my house!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 24

Also the Cake and Wedding Cottage in Perry Hall, MD. They have wedding supplies, and cake & candy supplies. They have a website, but it's mainly for the wedding stuff. icon_smile.gif
HTH!

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #22 of 24

I usually shop online, but I've been to Baker's Kitchen in Richmond. It sounds like Fran's is the place to go, but since it's a lot further from my house, I want to find out if it's worth it. Has anyone been to both stores and could compare them for me? I don't want to drive the 2 hours each way to Frans only to be disappointed!
Thanks!

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:19pm
post #23 of 24

I am a Little Bitts girl myself. I have taken classes there and buy my things there. They are jam packed with stuff and even if you cannot find what you are looking for, someone there will know exactly where it is. Love, the staff and owners. Like someone else said the downside is parking.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 10:59pm
post #24 of 24

All I can say about the shops in Richmond is that I live in Richmond, and I do all my shopping online. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%