Ball Of Roses

Decorating By Debcent Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm by cblupe

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have a good idea for creating a ball or nice rounded clump of candy clay roses on top of a cake. I have no stems on my roses and this is for a wedding. I am using all bc on cake and I do not know how to get this look. I have about 10 candy clay roses I can use. Thanks

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 11

I usually use a styrofoam ball to stick my roses in. I find it easier if there are wires or toothpicks. Coul you possibly insert it still?

Also, I don't think 10 roses is enough to make a ball--it really does take a lot to cover a ball (I always come short). It would probably have lots of gaps.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 11

Do you have candy clay left over? What about making a ball out of that and attaching the roses too it?

I've done this with fondant for flowers. I like the fondant or candy clay cause it is edible and if you stick the flower in the wrong place you can easily restick it (and mush in the pervious whole).

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 11

I made this by using a clump of gumpaste (soft) and just stuck each of the roses into it and when it all hardened it was stuck together quite nicely and was able to be set on top of cake as a whole no problem!
LL

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 11

I make a disc of gumpaste, let it dry and then put a blob of royal icing in the centre. I stick the bottom of the roses (on their sides) into the royal icing. For the centre rose I leave the wire or toothpick in it. I trim it so that the rose is nicely nestled in the centre and slightly above the rest of the flowers. Once the royal icing dries the topper is very stable and it is easily moved because it is on a base. This makes a nice keepsake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 11

These are gumpaste, but same effect (I think) that you are going for. I made a small clump with fondant in the center and adhered each with white chocolate to the clump. HTH!

Sorry, can't get it to attach... link:

[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363650[/url]

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I also loved the pics--very helpful icon_biggrin.gif

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 11

I made an "Almond Joy" cake for a couples' 50th anniversary and made candy clay ribbons and bows around the tiers and a topper with roses. I used half of a styrofoam ball, covered it with foil then with chocolate (since the cake was chocolate). I stuck the flowers in still attached to toothpicks, added some leaves and then used some gold beads (plastic, I think) to make loops that filled in the gaps. The lady was so thrilled with it that she removed the frosting on the bottom and placed the topper under a glass cake dome to keep it from getting dusty. That was more than a year ago and she still has it and it looks great. It didn't fade out like it would have if I had made it with fondant. I love candy clay!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 11

what is candy clay?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

what is candy clay?

candy clay is a mixture of chocolate and corn syrup. You melt the two together and then allow it to set up overnight. It becomes a hard clay which you then break off and knead into wonderful things. Wilton's recipe for candy clay using their bits goes like this:

Ingredients:

* 1 pkg Candy Melts®
* 1/3 cup light corn syrup

instructions

Melt Candy Melts following package directions. Add corn syrup and stir to blend.

Turn out mixture onto waxed paper and let set at room temperature to dry.

Wrap well and store at room temperature until needed. Candy Clay handles best if hardened overnight.

To Tint: Candy Clay may be tinted using Wilton Candy or Icing Color. Knead in color until well blended.

To Use: Candy Clay will be very hard at the start; knead a small portion at a time until workable.

If Candy Clay gets too soft, set aside at room temperature or refrigerate briefly.

When rolling out Candy Clay, sprinkle work surface with cornstarch to prevent sticking; roll to approximately 1/8 in. thickness.

To Store: Prepared Candy Clay will last for several weeks at room temperature in a well-sealed container.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks Win, I will have to give this a try. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%