Stumbled Upon Something Today...

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm by Darthburn

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 14

This probably isn't new to a lot of people, but being as I make cakes for fun and I learn by trial and error (what feels like a lot of error) I just thought I might share to make it easier for someone else.

I make my own MMF, and I microwave the MM. When I was getting ready to heat them today I had a stick of shortening sitting there. I figured "if you put it on my hands for it not to stick, why not on the bowl?" I was hoping to get more MM out with less effort and help the cleaning phase.

So I did just that, I rubbed Crico around the bowl, added MM and microwaved. MM pretty much fell out of the bowl, and clean up for what was left was a snap!

Btw... if you do have stubborn MM that sticks to the bowl, water is natures wonder. I just fill the bowl and let it soak for about an hour.. no soap or scrubbing. The water breaks it down and you can just rinse it out and put it in the dishwasher.

Many of you probably already know and do this... but I was just so excited, I wanted to share something! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 14

Thanks for the tips!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 14

I'm always amazed when i make rice krispie squares how soaking that pan always makes that marshmallow come off so easily..Same thing works when you are making caramal corn. Put really hot water in the pan and let sit for a few minutes..viola no more caramal.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 14

Those marshmallows are always such a *delight* to clean, aren't they?! I use the crisco trick, too. I put it on the bowl, on the spoon, on EVERYTHING.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 14

I also put the crisco on everything - even the KA dough hook and blade. It just helps tremendously with the mess.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the tip. I have a KA bowl with melted marshmallows stuck in it from an icing recipe I did last night. I am going over right now to fill the bowl up with water so it can soak while I am at work! I will definitely try the Crisco trick for next time--thanks again.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 14

Wow thanks for the tip, I am new to makeing mmf and I was aarrrrrr hating the mess, I will try your way and looking forward to an easier time, thanks again.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 14

Great tip, I don't make my own MMF but my chocolate bar pie recipe requires melting of marshmallows...I will give this a try icon_smile.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

This probably isn't new to a lot of people, but being as I make cakes for fun and I learn by trial and error (what feels like a lot of error) I just thought I might share to make it easier for someone else.

I make my own MMF, and I microwave the MM. When I was getting ready to heat them today I had a stick of shortening sitting there. I figured "if you put it on my hands for it not to stick, why not on the bowl?" I was hoping to get more MM out with less effort and help the cleaning phase.

So I did just that, I rubbed Crico around the bowl, added MM and microwaved. MM pretty much fell out of the bowl, and clean up for what was left was a snap!

Btw... if you do have stubborn MM that sticks to the bowl, water is natures wonder. I just fill the bowl and let it soak for about an hour.. no soap or scrubbing. The water breaks it down and you can just rinse it out and put it in the dishwasher.

Many of you probably already know and do this... but I was just so excited, I wanted to share something! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip! icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to try that next time. I dread making MMF because I hate having my hands all gunked up.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

Wow! I'll definitely try it. Thanks!

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 14

thanks sharing!!!!!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 14

Yup water and soaking is fabulous! I never scrub anything hard so the finish doesn't get scratched. I don't even scrub glass unless it's with a spastic spoon. Once you mar the surface things will forever get stuck like cement onto to it... soak soak, soak.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 14

Sometimes I'll just spray the bowl with Pam or other non-stick spray. It's even easier because I don't have to get my hands greasy by rubbing down the bowl with Crisco.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 14

I'm like some of you others, I grease my hands, spoon... just about everything coming in contact with the marshmellows. Don't know why I didn't think of the bowl sooner.

And with as much as I put on my hands, it's amazing that the marshmellow still manages to find a spot I didn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%