Nightmare Bride...help!

Decorating By lynseyg2002 Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 12:25am by adonisthegreek1

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiblah

I am a bride and I also decorate cakes. So I am giving my reply coming from both sides. We are NOT giving anyone FULL payment until we actually get the final product. This goes for our baker, our photographer, even our wedding planner. This is not unreasonable and our suppliers have added this clause into their contracts. I'm assuming this situation is different because it sounds like you were very clear as to when payment was due. But for myself, I don't feel comfortable paying until I get the final product...that's what the deposit is for.

Sorry but you are completely out in left field on this. thumbsdown.gif Your wedding vendors should be paid PRIOR to the wedding...Why? Because a bride and the family is WAY TO BUSY AND PREOCCUPIED on the day of to make sure the vendors get their funds. The vendors put in all the work and cost well in advance of your event. And why the heck should a vendor be put through all that stress of trying to collect funds that are rightfully theirs! Collections cost time and money for the vendor! Maybe you are just too new to the caking or maybe you only do it as a hobby. I find it hard to believe that you do this as a business on any level with that frame of mind. I guess you will have to get burned a few times on payment to understand why this policy is in place with vendors!

I stick by my 2 week deadline and all my cakes under $300 must be paid in full at time of order no exceptions! I value my business name, and want to continue my business so I wouldn't dream hurting my business by not providing a top notch cake to my clients. I am a custom cake designer not a bakery that has product in mass available for walk-in business like a grocery store. I would never change my business practices because a client felt the rules shouldn't apply to them!

FYI - Eventhough I am commonlaw married, my husband and I will be doing a full blown wedding in Dec 2010. I wouldn't dream of insulting a vendor by asking them to change their business policies for me, If I don't like their policies then I just don't hire them.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #32 of 84

Every place I know of that makes cake including Walmart and Publix require payemnt before you get your cake. Especially if it is a deliver they want payment in full before they even will deliver or it's COD and you better have cash in your hand waiting for them or you won't get your cake.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #33 of 84
Quote:

I am a bride and I also decorate cakes. So I am giving my reply coming from both sides. We are NOT giving anyone FULL payment until we actually get the final product. This goes for our baker, our photographer, even our wedding planner. This is not unreasonable and our suppliers have added this clause into their contracts. I'm assuming this situation is different because it sounds like you were very clear as to when payment was due. But for myself, I don't feel comfortable paying until I get the final product...that's what the deposit is for.

People pay in advance for products not yet received all the time! Anytime I place an online order, I am paying for a products up front that will be shipped to me. That's how a large portion of business is done. I'm sorry, but this reasoning doesn't make sense to me. I had no problem paying months in advance for my wedding cake, my photographer, or my wedding dress. By the time my wedding came around, I had paid everyone already. This is the norm.....at least here where I live.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:28pm
post #34 of 84

Hi all, I have now FINALLY received payment in FULL! I have been sending her text messages and keeping them as proof of sending. I didnt get the payment untill 4.50pm though and as I told her when she turned up, ' i am unable to do anymore to the cake now as my business is a home run business and 5pm is family time' i work from 9-5pm. I had no appology. And as I said to her, i cannot complete a cake without payment in full because if the plans fall though then i am stuck with cake and out of pocket. All of the cake businesses here won't make a cake without payment up-front first.

Thank you all sooooo much for you r input, and i will most certainly post final photo's tomorrow (providing I haven't fallen asleep face down in the cake icon_smile.gif as i've got a long day ahead of me!)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #35 of 84

Well - I'm glad that you got your money! And I'm glad that you have figured out what to add to your contract so that this doesn't happen again.

Can't wait to see the picture!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #36 of 84

So glad you got your money. Maybe this will be the end of dealing with her!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #37 of 84

Yay!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:13am
post #38 of 84
Quote:

I like how you use the term "we" to speak for all brides.

Best of luck finding a wedding cake vendor with those terms. Be prepared to deal with the fact that that's not how it works in reality, though. icon_smile.gif

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:51am
post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

I like how you use the term "we" to speak for all brides.

I don't think she is speaking for al lbrides... I interpreted the "we" as her and her fiance. But I could be wrong icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 11:53am
post #40 of 84

Oh, LOL.

I thought she was making a collective statement. icon_biggrin.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm
post #41 of 84
Quote:

Many of us have been brides at some point and just because it is your day doesn't mean you get to break contracts, sorry. If it is written in the contract that you pay prior to the event, you pay prior to the event. No ifs ands or buts. Being a bride is not an excuse.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:15pm
post #42 of 84

Kook--I mean you will have a much better day if you try & figure out how to trust your vendors--let go of stuff. I have found it extremely awkward to collect money on the day of the wedding. Awkward McAwkwardkins.

I mean how can you enjoy your day otherwise? You're just gonna be checking things off your list instead of taking it all in and glowing and radiating like brides are sposed to do.

Y'know, you're gonna be all--oh that flower is in the wrong place and oh the baker's gotta wait till I taste the cake and geez lighten up girl.

I mean are you organizing an event punctuated by financial transactions or celebrating the love of your lives with your loved ones?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #43 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I have found it extremely awkward to collect money on the day of the wedding. Awkward McAwkwardkins.

Not to mention the bride isn't walking around on her wedding day with a checkbook usually. And then you gotta find a mother or a relative that wants to cough up cash. Definitely Awkward McAwkwardkins. icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #44 of 84

I'm glad to hear you were finally paid, although I would not consider this a happy ending. She has still put you in a very stressful situation with a lot of work ahead of you with short time. Now you will be getting less sleep etc. because of her. I think this bride was extremely disrespectful of you and your time. Just thinking of the time you had to spend to call around to remind her about her responsibility to pay! I hope you will never put yourself in this situation again. You deserve much better!

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #45 of 84

I can only speak from my experience and my wedding... each vendor I worked with had a different policy - some I had to pay in full up front, some I could pay in installments, some after the service or product was delivered etc.

As a bride I was hesitant to pay in full prior to the service being provided (because if I did and it was crap i had no recourse), as a business woman I can see why a 'vendor' may want payment in full beforehand (because the client may not pay you afterwards etc). So i can see "kookiblah" perspective as well as the others.

I think everyone needs to find a vendor and client that meshes with their comfort level. There are plenty of vendors and clients to go around for everyone icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

...(because if I did and it was crap i had no recourse),

That's why professionals use contracts....to protect the consumer as well.

Quote:

as a business woman I can see why a 'vendor' may want payment in full beforehand (because the client may not pay you afterwards etc).),

So, if you are a business woman, I don't understand your first statement. icon_confused.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #47 of 84

Well yes I see the perspective too. I've done it that way--even as bride myself I paid people day of--dumb. And as a dumb caker in my early days I arranged payment day of--also dumb.

But a wedding is unlike any other gathering under the stars to me. People's lives have all culminated to this crescendo event that's been prepared for and anticipated since birth--two different families are coming together with all their various triumphs and nefarious idiosycrasies. People are elated, emotional and drained.

The last thing I'd wanna do is deal with financial transactions day of. There's enough going on--too much going on to invite that into my day.

I mean speaking as a bride because I've laid out all my careful planning I'm hoping I don't get skewered by any vendor but there's a much much bigger picture and purpose to the day. No vendor deserves my attention that day.

If the flowers wilt and the cake is late and the band plays in the wrong key--oh well--I've some celebrating to do!!!! It's today or never huh?

cloetzu Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:25pm
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

...(because if I did and it was crap i had no recourse),

That's why professionals use contracts....to protect the consumer as well.

Quote:

as a business woman I can see why a 'vendor' may want payment in full beforehand (because the client may not pay you afterwards etc).),

So, if you are a business woman, I don't understand your first statement. icon_confused.gif

I'm just trying to say that I can see both perspectives and I've been in both situations. And that, IMHO you just have to look around and find folks to work with that you are comfortable with.

I agree, contracts do help, and cover the professional (vendor) and the consumer.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:30pm
post #49 of 84

Not too long ago, I got a quote and design all agreed on with a client. Came time to tell her specifics about contract, and when the balance due within 2 weeks issue was discussed, she said she wouldn't be paying that until the day of.

I politely explained to her the reason for a contract, and that in addition to being protection for me, it was for hers as well. I wasn't some fly by night, just finished Wilton course 1, "think I'll make a wedding cake today" decorator. I have professional affiliations, have an inspected facility, and have lots of positive feedback and referrals. This is my policy, and I'm sorry I won't be able to provide you a wedding cake unless the conditions of my contract are fulfilled 100%. I am making promises to you in that contract as well, and if I don't carry through them with, you do have recourse.

She promptly signed contract, paid her deposit, and I'll be making her cake later on next year.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:44pm
post #50 of 84

A contractor gets paid BEFORE he purchases supplies, why can't a cake baker? I'm not talking a regulare retailer, only custom orders.

And the excuse that a bride is distracted, well, that is the attitude that creates bridezillas. There is no excuse to be nasty, rude, forgetful or self-centered. millions of ppl get married and manage to be responsible. If you can't manage to be normal when getting married, you're not ready to get married.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

A contractor gets paid BEFORE he purchases supplies, why can't a cake baker? I'm not talking a regulare retailer, only custom orders.

And the excuse that a bride is distracted, well, that is the attitude that creates bridezillas. There is no excuse to be nasty, rude, forgetful or self-centered. millions of ppl get married and manage to be responsible. If you can't manage to be normal when getting married, you're not ready to get married.

Basically! icon_lol.gif No kidding....my boss' nephew recently got married. To a 17 year old. He continues to act like an 8 year old, but people owe him respect because he's married now. But living rent free in his parents house. Their goal (actually from one of their mouths, seriously)is to get on welfare so they can get food stamps and afford an apartment. Not to actually work and be productive members of society. This is where I seriously daydream about mandatory sterilization for morons.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #52 of 84

Jaime, you have GOT TO BE fricken kidding me!!! What the heck happened in their upbringing that they have that attitude!

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Jaime, you have GOT TO BE fricken kidding me!!! What the heck happened in their upbringing that they have that attitude!

Simple. That's what they were taught at home. Sad, eh? I do a lot of tongue biting (my own tongue of course...lol) around these parts. icon_twisted.gif

cloetzu Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

... This is where I seriously daydream about mandatory sterilization for morons.

LOL - I've thought the same thing at times.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:11pm
post #55 of 84

My friend George had a t-shirt that read:

stupid people shouldn't breed

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:15pm
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Yes, but can those people read your t-shirt? lol j/k

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:19pm
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Yes, but can those people read your t-shirt? lol j/k

Bwahahaha. I can see someone squinting at it, reading it out loud very slowly, and then saying "huh?" Doh! dunce.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseyg2002

It is now 3.48, no money so i have now threatened to cancel the order. I realise that I may seam too soft, and as i am new to this i WILL need to get tougher. Sorry all, i am really stressed out now.

Am I following this correctly? At 3:48 pm the day before the wedding you haven't gotten the balance due so you are now threatening to cancel the order? Then when she shows up after 4:00 pm you tell her it's family time now and you can't work on her cakes anymore today?? I have to wonder, how big is this cake? No matter. How can you function in business when you allow yourself to be manipulated in this way? Do you have a contract in place? Does it stipulate that the balance must be paid IN FULL by such and such date? Did she sign it? For a wedding cake I require half at the time they order and the other half no later than two weeks prior to the wedding date. If I don't have my money I don't buy any of the supplies for the cake. I can't afford to start baking the cake hoping that I'll get paid in the end.

Believe me, when I set up a wedding cake last Saturday there was so much commotion just over the bride's slip (or lack of) that I was darn happy that all I had to be concerned about was setting up and serving the cakes.

If a bride can't get around to paying me until the day before her wedding then I'll be occupied with something a LOT more important to me than stressing about whether she gets a cake for her wedding. Disappointing her guests is not something that concerns me one bit. It's not your responsibility to put cake on her table despite her bad behavior.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:04am
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseyg2002

It is now 3.48, no money so i have now threatened to cancel the order. I realise that I may seam too soft, and as i am new to this i WILL need to get tougher. Sorry all, i am really stressed out now.

Am I following this correctly? At 3:48 pm the day before the wedding you haven't gotten the balance due so you are now threatening to cancel the order? Then when she shows up after 4:00 pm you tell her it's family time now and you can't work on her cakes anymore today?? I have to wonder, how big is this cake? No matter. How can you function in business when you allow yourself to be manipulated in this way? Do you have a contract in place? Does it stipulate that the balance must be paid IN FULL by such and such date? Did she sign it? For a wedding cake I require half at the time they order and the other half no later than two weeks prior to the wedding date. If I don't have my money I don't buy any of the supplies for the cake. I can't afford to start baking the cake hoping that I'll get paid in the end.

Believe me, when I set up a wedding cake last Saturday there was so much commotion just over the bride's slip (or lack of) that I was darn happy that all I had to be concerned about was setting up and serving the cakes.

If a bride can't get around to paying me until the day before her wedding then I'll be occupied with something a LOT more important to me than stressing about whether she gets a cake for her wedding. Disappointing her guests is not something that concerns me one bit. It's not your responsibility to put cake on her table despite her bad behavior.

The bride did have a contract, and I do ask for 50% non-refundable deposit on the day of booking and she was very happy with the payment situation. Not only that, the cake was a late order as she hadn't started looking at wedding cakes until August ( ding dong, maybe the bells should have started ringing then!) but still, she ordered, accepted the contract, paid, and was given a receipt with full terms and conditions on it, and was completely happy with everything. It was when i phoned 2 weeks ago to remind her that the payment date was coming up that she told me she was 'in the process of moving and would 'pop' the money up the next day........it back-fired from then.

Having said that, I ended up starting the cake at 7.30 friday morning, and didn't finish it until 5.40 friday night, and considering it is not an elaborate or particularly fussy design it still took me a while to do as i like to be a perfectionist.

I will be delivering and setiing up today so i will report back with pictures. icon_smile.gif

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:08am
post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Quote:

People pay in advance for products not yet received all the time! Anytime I place an online order, I am paying for a products up front that will be shipped to me. That's how a large portion of business is done. I'm sorry, but this reasoning doesn't make sense to me. I had no problem paying months in advance for my wedding cake, my photographer, or my wedding dress. By the time my wedding came around, I had paid everyone already. This is the norm.....at least here where I live.

Dito

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%