Gold And Silver Icing

Decorating By 916sweetcakes Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 2:58am by milmil95

916sweetcakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:32am
post #1 of 6

I'm new and would like to know how do you make gold and silver icing? Thanks icon_confused.gif

5 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 6

I would think the best bet would to be to tint your buttercream a light grey or light gold. Then when crusted, use a large "blusher" type brush and gently apply some silver or gold luster dust. That is of course if you mean the whole cake. If not, and you just want it for accents, why not use fondant pieces tinted the same way and painted with the luster dust mixed with a bit of vodka or lemon extract.

prterrell Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 6

The only way to make icing metallic silver or gold is to use the luster dusts.

kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 6

Actually *highlighter* dusts give metallic colors when they are mixed w/spirits (Vodka etc) and painted on icing. It cannot be mixed into the icing as one would w/gel paste colors.

JGMB Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

painted with the luster dust mixed with a bit of vodka or lemon extract.

I've never used luster dust before, but I've always wondered if you could use a different extract, like almond, or if it had to be lemon for some reason.

milmil95 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

You can actually use anything that has a high alcohol content, like the extracts. I use 100 proof vodka and it works great for me. Not to mention I can get a large amount of it cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%