Gum Paste Flower Wire & Tape

Decorating By tsal Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 12:51am by tsal

tsal Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm new to gum paste flowers. What type of floral wire is best, and do I need tape too? If so, which kind?

Thanks!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 4

I use the wire on spools because it's the cheapest, but the straight lengths of wire are nicer to work with. You'll want an assortment of gauges...the smaller the number, the thicker the wire. I use 18 gauge for large roses, 26 gauge for individual petals or leaves, and a couple of gauges in between as needed. I use regular floral tape, the kind that gets sticky when you stretch it.

stickytoffeepudding Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 4

If you can try and buy Sunrise Wires, also buy them in White, the reason for buying white is then the colour does not show up on the petals!! as for tape i use floristry tape, when you tape the flowers together the glue in the tape holds them firmly together i use nile green / white and brown tapes

as for the Gauge of the wires 20g - 35g wires, the most wires i use are from 30, 33 and 35g, for roses i use maybe a 20 or 22, if i am using 22 i normally use 3 one with the hook in and another 2 on either side of the cone, then these are taped together before the rose is made

tsal Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 4

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%