Fondant Covered Cake Timeline?

Decorating By theabsinaz Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 1:57am by cylstrial

theabsinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theabsinaz Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 2

I'm a home baker that makes fondant covered cakes for my children's birthdays. I have never sold my cakes but I made a 3 tier 8" fondant covered snowman cake for our church Christmas Bazaar's cake walk a couple weeks ago. I found the design in the gallery here and attempted it (picture below) as a french vanilla almond flavored cake, crumb coated in wilton recipe buttercream with no filling. It was an absolute hit and now a friend of mine has "ordered" one for Christmas day. Here's my dilemma...I am leaving out of town for the holiday on Wednesday the 23rd and will not be back till after the new year. If I make the cake in time for delivery on Tuesday the 22nd, will it keep on a pedestal on her kitchen counter until Friday (Christmas day)? The cakes I usually make for my kids are completed the night before the party so i'm not sure if the cake will spoil or fall apart 3 days after completion. I know from reading on this forum that fondant covered cakes shouldn't be refrigerated but I can't find a straight answer as to how many days a fondant covered cake would keep on the counter. I'm in Phoenix, AZ, if that helps determine the answer. Thanks a bunch for any guidance you all can give!
LL

1 reply
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 2

Well, if you could get the entire cake together in one day - then I think it would be fine to sit for three days as long as it had moistening syrup on it. But I really doubt that you would bake it, crumb coat, and decorate it all in one day. So I'm not sure that I would do it - just based on the situation.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%