How Can I Make "pearls" / Beads Easily?

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 7:33am by rblee

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for an easy way to make edible pearls. I'd like them to be about 3-4mm. I'm not very good at piping them with buttercream, and I've also tried making them out of meraingues (sp?) but they didn't turn out well either. I've just come accress this thing called a bead maker - has anyone used this before? The site doesn't list any instructions or ideas on how it is used, so I'm not sure if it can be used with fondant, or what. Does anyone else have any idea?

Another one I've found:

13 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 14

I have the blue one in a couple of different sizes and it works pretty well. I know I've seen a tutorial on it but I don't remember where. You might try youtube and see if it's there.

Roxybc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks tiggy2 - what do you use to make your pearls? Can I use fondant in the blue one?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I have the blue one in a couple of different sizes and it works pretty well. I know I've seen a tutorial on it but I don't remember where. You might try youtube and see if it's there.

I also have the blue ones in various sizes, I saw my tutorial's on sharon Zambito's video's.

But it is not hard to do, roll your fondant, like a snake, squeeze the mold open with one hand lay the fondant in the center, close the mold trim off all excess with an exacto knife, and repeat,

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 14

Seriously, I buy them. About $12-$15 for a kilo.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Seriously, I buy them. About $12-$15 for a kilo.

Hey leah_s do you mind sharing with us where you get yours.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 14

www.avalon deco .com

LOVE them!

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

www.avalon deco .com

LOVE them!

Thank You

Roxybc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 14

anyone know where I could buy them in the uk?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 14

I needed some aqua blue "pearls" for a cake. I tinted and rolled out my gumpaste then used (I think) the #12 tip to cut out tiny circles - you could see what size works. Then I just rolled them into balls. I left them on a paper towel to dry. Took about 10 minutes to make a couple of hundred and they all looked exactly alike.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 14

[http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm]

Here is a tutorial that might help, and I just bought the blue pearl makers Jennifer Dontz uses in her DVD but have not used them yet.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I needed some aqua blue "pearls" for a cake. I tinted and rolled out my gumpaste then used (I think) the #12 tip to cut out tiny circles - you could see what size works. Then I just rolled them into balls. I left them on a paper towel to dry. Took about 10 minutes to make a couple of hundred and they all looked exactly alike.

10 minutes???? Gosh, you need to put out a video on that technique. This is the way I make pearls (one by one) and it takes hours for me to make 100!

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 3:22am
post #13 of 14

If you use the bead molds it's a good idea to dust the mold with pearl dust or cornstartch to keep it from sticking.

rblee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rblee Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:33am
post #14 of 14

tonedna has a tutorial here:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%