How Do I Ice A Cake Using Two Colors?

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm by SpringFlour

Reganlynn Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I need to make a sheet cake that is half sky and half grass. How do I go about icing a cake smooth when there are two colors? Any suggestions? Thank You!

4 replies
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 5

I would ice in white and use spray colors. if you don't have an air brush then you can buy the color mist sprays I have used them and like them. Shake, shake and then shake well and go lightly. icon_wink.gif

Smallfrye Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

You could ice it smooth in white and air brush the colors on. And if you do not have an air brush they sell the cans of edible colored spray and craft and cake supply stores.

AngelaM Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

I'm a newbie here but here's what I would do. I would apply the icing with the Icer Tip (789) so that it goes on in a straight line. Then I would take a long spatula and level it quickly in one direction only that way you don't blend the 2 colors together. Then I would finish it off with the Viva paper towel method.

SpringFlour Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 5

I've made several camoflauge cakes using buttercream. I just piped piped the colors onto the cake near each other, smoothed it out a little with a spatula, and used a Viva towel to finish it.

I did the same sort of thing on this cake, as well, but I made this one before I really got into doing cakes:

Quote by @%username% on %date%