Baking Disaster

Decorating By Anira72 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm by prterrell

Anira72 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 4

I'm still new to this whole caking thing and I hadn't baked in the winter. If your have the same batter does it bake different in colder weather? We have the heater on in the house but it's not hot. And the weather ouside doesn't really come inside, but the other day I lost two cakes because they overflowed and never baked all the way. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this. I have a friends cake to make this weekend and it's four cakes. I don't want to ruin anymore icon_cry.gif

3 replies
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure about the weather thing I live in FL and our weather ranges from 100° hot-30°cool when we are lucky...LOL But I do keep my house at 75° regardless so I am just not sure about temperature.

It does sound like your pans are over filled and your temp may be too high. I would suggest you try half filling your pan instead of 3/4 full of batter. Or try collaring your pan with parchment paper and that will help you bake a nice tall cake without overflow. Lower your oven temp to 320°-325º. Maybe get an oven thermometer to check the actual temp in your oven.

Anira72 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I'll definitely try that.

prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 4

As long as your oven's theromostat is running correctly, things should bake correctly. The temp inside or outside the house has no affect.

It really does sound like you over-filled the pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%