I'm So Excited I Could Burst!!

Lounge By Barb1959 Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 6:36am by Carson

Barb1959 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 12

I just found a long lost relative. I grew up with no aunts, uncles or cousins. My dad was an only child and my mom, for all intensive purposes, was an only child. She had a brother that disowned himself from our family over 35 years ago.

Mom started asked if we thought her brother was still alive. Long story short, I googled my aunt and cousin's names and found my cousin. I wrote to her last night to see if in fact I found the right person. I DID!!!

The only bad thing is that her mom and brother (I didn't even know I had 2 cousins) are deceased and her father (my moom's brother) is a dirt bag living the the ghettos of Philly.

Despite the bad news, I am so excited that I have a cousin! I wrote her back and told her that I would like to have a relationship with her. So now I just have to wait and see if she replies. She lives almost 1000 miles away in Florida.

Thanks for listening.

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 12

That's so exciting!

ccr03 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 12

THat's so awesome!!!!!! Congrats!

ShelleyMJ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 12

Now, that's a Christmas gift!

Thanks for sharing.

-Tubbs Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 12

I'm happy for you!!

jjkarm Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 12

This is wonderful news!!! You've just opened a whole new chapter in your life. thumbs_up.gif So happy for you!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 12

Barb1959 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 12

Well my excitement is short lived. icon_sad.gif My cousin responded back to my email and she said that she cannot be in touch because anything that reminds her of her past (her life with her dad) is too much for her. I was very saddened by this, but what can I do. I have to respect her wishes and just wish her well.

cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 12

Awww...well maybe one day she will be able to get over the situation. Just send her a Christmas card and birthday card every year and hopefully one day she will come around.

Barb1959 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 12

I was afraid if I sent her a card she would think I was going against her wishes. What do others think?

ShelleyMJ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 12

Personally, I wouldn't push her. I might send a Christmas card with a note so she has your address.

I know how difficult this is. I found a step child years ago. She had the same reaction. She didn't want anything to do with her father (my husband at the time). I sent one card with our address. About 10 yrs later, she contacted us. It just took time.

Count your blessings that you found her to begin with and pray she will want to be in touch when the time is right for her.

Carson Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:36am
post #12 of 12

I would do as Shelley suggested, send a Christmas card with your address stating that it is for her to get in touch with you if she wishes. I wouldn't push anything past that, it will show her that you still want a relationship by not forcing anything on her. Once she gets over the shock she may decide to contact you, hopefully it won't be 10 years later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%