Giant Marshmallow Between Cake Layers?

Decorating By prterrell Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm by TexasSugar

prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am planning on making a pink champagne cake for my sister's 29th birthday (2 days before Christmas! icon_smile.gif ). I was thinking of making a giant homemade marshmallow (same diameter as the cake) and using that as the filling between the layers and then frosting the cake in Italian Meringue (not buttercream, just the meringue). Has anyone tried doing this? Do you think it will work? (My back-up plan is to do a white chocolate mousse as the filling.)

6 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

I pretty much always do a strawberry creme filling (like a mousse texture) with pin champagne cake. Strawberries and champagne are a classic combo.

prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 7

That sounds good leah_s, but one of my nephews is allergic to strawberries, so that's out. icon_sad.gif Do you think the marshmallow idea will work?

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

Will it be hard to cut the cake with the marshmallow in there?
I know the few times I've made marshmallows I used scissors to cut them.
Maybe you can do marshmallow cream?
Or what about Loranns strawberry flavor, does it have real strawberry in it, if not that might work for a mousse?

TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 7

When I read this, I too asked myself if you could cut the marshmallow in the middle with out tearing up the cake.

Maybe you can do something like the Twinkie filling that uses marshmallow creme?

sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 7

Aren't homemade marshmallows softer then the bought ones? I think it'll work like a firm BC. The Twinkie filling really can't support layers of cake. At east the recipe I tried didn't. My layers wanted to slide all around and do the hokey poky. I had to keep the silly thing in the fridge-cold and firm till cutting.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7

Home made marshmallows may be softer, but they are also sticky when you cut them. I'm not sure it will cut through all the way with out the marshmallow sticking to the knife while trying to cut through the bottom layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%