Mixing Up Colors. I Have Issues...

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm by Peridot

ZlatkaT Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 7

I am having issues with mixing up colors to get the right shade. I have Wilton color set, just the basic colors, and need to mix them up. I don't have time to order Americolor or anything else, would you help me figure this out?
I will need to make:
* Christmas green (I have leaf green) I tried to add some black, blue, but it is not the shade of Xmas green

* Barney purple (I have Violet) should I add Red or Rose to it??

Thank you

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

I am having issues with mixing up colors to get the right shade. I have Wilton color set, just the basic colors, and need to mix them up. I don't have time to order Americolor or anything else, would you help me figure this out?
I will need to make:
* Christmas green (I have leaf green) I tried to add some black, blue, but it is not the shade of Xmas green

* Barney purple (I have Violet) should I add Red or Rose to it??

Thank you

I would make the green VERY dark "leaf green" and then add tiny bits of black until its that nice dark holly green.

With the purple again....make pretty dark with the violet, and then yes you could add small amounts of red until you get the shade you need.

Good luck!

ZlatkaT Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 7

thank you! Will do.

prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 7

LOL, this is why I keep every color Americolor makes on hand. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck w/ your cakes! icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 7

Buy a color wheel!

It's one of the BEST things I've ever gotten! You can find it any arts dept. of any craft store. I try to have all the colors on hand, but that doesn't always happen, so I keep extra big bottles of the three primary colors and black so I can be make any color.

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 7

What are you coloring, fondant, royal butter cream?
They all take color differently but my number one trick it to let it rest and the color will darken.
I used to just do this with red and black but now I do it with all my colors.

Peridot Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 7

I have the same problems with Americolor - so that's not the answer either. I don't find it easy to mix and get the colors I want. It is very frustrating and I have almost every color of both Wilton and Americolor. I used to use Wilton and then when I came to CC I purchased Americolor. The one thing that I like about Americolor is that I don't need to get the tooth pick out and dig in the little jar (Wilton) with Americolor I can just squeeze a drop or two or three - less mess.

Does the color wheel tell you how much of each color to add to get the color you want?

And CakeMommyTX is right, every thing takes color in a different way and that includes different brands of fondant also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%