Can I Marzipan & Royal Ice A Madeira Cake?

Decorating By TrialNError Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm by TrialNError

TrialNError Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 4

I need to royal ice a madeira cake for a 25th Silver Jubilee for a priest this Sunday 6th. I baked the Madeira cake last Sunday and put marzipan on it a couple of days ago. I want to royal ice the cake but have read on other websites that putting marzipan on a sponge/madeira will dry it out. What do I do to keep the cake from drying out, and still marzipan & royal ice the cake?
HELP URGENTLY REQUIRED, PLEASE!

Signed
TrialNError

3 replies
bashini Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, you can put marzipan on sponge cakes and it doesn't make the cake go dry. It actualy seals the cake and keep the moistness of the cake in. I have done it quite a few times. And I think since you have marzipaned the cake, you also should be able to royal ice the cake. icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 4

I 2nd Bashini it wont dry it out but seal it to keep it fresher. and royal icing wont make an ounce of difference to the cake either. But generally people stear clear of marzipaning much other than fruit cakes.

Go finish up that cake.

TrialNError Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks heaps! I started to panic as I thought by making a Madeira Cake, I could do ahead of time. Besides, blogs on Marzipaning a cake, state that it should dry for 3-4 days prior to being covered in icing, but that sponges/madeira's dry out with the marzipan drawing out the moisture in the process.

I will keep my fingers crossed and go ahead and ice the cake. I will post the result when I get feedback after sunday (hopefully all good icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%