Jillmakescakes Changes My Mind On Cakeballs!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 2:13pm by indydebi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 39

jillmakescakes shipped me some of her cakeballs for 2 reasons: (1) she wanted me to let her know how her packaging worked and (2) she'd read that I thought they sounded nasty and wanted me to try some.

omg ....... these were the best little bites of cake I've ever had! She had mulitple flavors in there and they tasted like some of the petit fours I've had in the past. Not mooshy or overbearing in flavor or too full of binding agent (icing, flavored liquid, etc).

I have a family Christmas party coming up this month. Jill, I'll be emailing you for an order of these to take with me!! thumbs_up.gif

38 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 39

Awww....that was really sweet of her!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 39

That is sooo nice. icon_wink.gif
I wanna try them too..hahaha I haven't found the right texture either. Jill mind sharing recipes?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 39

That was REALLY sweet of her! But I'm with ya! I think they look cute, sound like they should taste good, but No, something doesn't sound right to me either. icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 39

I'm glad Jill was able to change your mind. That was so nice of her to ship you some of her goodies.
When I was selling cake balls were my best sellers (usually the hazelnut- chocolate chip and the chocolate caramel heath).
Finding the right consistency is the key (a wet sand consistency - to where it just hold together, not soggy) once you get that down they are easy to make and sure to please.

Glad you like them Debbie and Jill --great job on changing her mind. icon_razz.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 39

LOL. that was sweet of Jill.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 39

When I read the title I knew it was you!

Congrats to Jillmakescakes!! WOOOO HOOOO

If you can convert Debi, you can convert anyone. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 39

Where do I get to sign up to be a "packaging tester" for yummy treats?? icon_wink.gif

Jill... when you get it all worked out... I want to order some too!! icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 39

When I saw the topic on the homepage, I was hoping that it was IndyDebi who had started it. icon_smile.gif I remember reading 2 years ago that you thought they sounded awful and I thought, "But you haven't tried mine!:
Glad she liked yours!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #10 of 39

thanks Debi!!! I'm so glad you liked them! I might use your family party to test out the cakeball tree? thumbs_up.gif

I sent some out to my G'ma in Chicago and my BIL in California to see how long they take and how well they stand up. I couldn't believe how expensive it was to ship. I am currently researching cheaper methods. Any ideas?

The best "recipe" that I've used so far is one full cake recipe and three spoonfulls of icing. I got 88 cake balls out of one cake recipe (I actually made 3 cake recipes in different flavors and got 88 out of one, 90 out of another and 89 out of the third).

I'm making a list of some different flavor combos now. I can't wait to try pineapple cake with coconut butter cream and white chocolate. My next in line is german chocolate cake, coconut buttercream, dark chocolate rolled in crushed pecans. mmmmmmmm, crushed pecans..drooooool (think homer simpson icon_lol.gif )

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I can't wait to try pineapple cake with coconut butter cream and white chocolate.

These, in particular, sound delicious to me.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #12 of 39

Hey Jill! I'm in Florida - I will 'GLADLY' be a shipper tester for you! HAHA!!!

How did you ship the others? UPS? USPS? the post office has that one price shipping box??

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:47am
post #13 of 39

Ohhh, feel free to ship some to Hawaii too!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:56am
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

thanks Debi!!! I'm so glad you liked them! I might use your family party to test out the cakeball tree? thumbs_up.gif

I sent some out to my G'ma in Chicago and my BIL in California to see how long they take and how well they stand up. I couldn't believe how expensive it was to ship. I am currently researching cheaper methods. Any ideas?

The best "recipe" that I've used so far is one full cake recipe and three spoonfulls of icing. I got 88 cake balls out of one cake recipe (I actually made 3 cake recipes in different flavors and got 88 out of one, 90 out of another and 89 out of the third).

I'm making a list of some different flavor combos now. I can't wait to try pineapple cake with coconut butter cream and white chocolate. My next in line is german chocolate cake, coconut buttercream, dark chocolate rolled in crushed pecans. mmmmmmmm, crushed pecans..drooooool (think homer simpson icon_lol.gif )

Nasty Stuff!!!...I might need to try them to change my mind! icon_lol.gif ...When do I expect my package?? icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:46am
post #15 of 39

Ooooh good call Edna... NASTY things those cake balls... please change my mind too!! icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Ooooh good call Edna... NASTY things those cake balls... please change my mind too!! icon_wink.gif

Terrible!!!! tapedshut.gif Nasty! nasty! nasty! icon_wink.gif Im waiting still icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

pikle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikle Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:19am
post #17 of 39

yummy icon_biggrin.gif... wow.. you only use 3 spoonfuls of frosting for the whole batch??? and that's enough??? My hubby loves mine, but they are gooey and too sweet for me... may have to try the itty bitty portion of icing icon_biggrin.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 39

you ladies are terrible.... calling perfectly nice cakeballs nasty just for freebies.... shame on you icon_lol.gif

I'd love to be able to ship them to all of you, but my shipping budget isn't very big. I'm thinking about making an option on my website of ordering online..... what are everyone's thoughts on this? Does anyone else have online ordering? I'm just not sure how to work it out yet (guess its one more thing for me to research!)

pikle, yep, just a small amount of icing. The point isn't to add flavor, but rather hold the crumbs together (the extra yummy is just a bonus thumbs_up.gif ). You shouldn't be able to see the icing after you are done mixing the icing and cake. If you see white streaks, you've got too much icing in there.

My sis was able to take some nice professional shots.. when she sends me the files, I'll post them.

jillmakescakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #19 of 39

here are some of the pics she took for me!!!
LL
LL

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:59pm
post #20 of 39

nice pix

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 39

OH GOSH......those look good. I am gonna try to make some of these.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 39

Jill could you give some advice on how to make them. I made them once and they were NASTY. First thing I did wrong was add to much BC after reading this post

2. Is the cake fresh, or a little stale before you make the balls

3. Do they have to be refrigerated aftyer making

4. Where does all the flavor come from (3 tdslp of icing) do you add extracts?

Hope you can help

Adamsgama

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 39

Gorgeous! So I've been adding too much icing. Waaaaaaay too much icing. Maybe that is why they have had the texture of something a 13-month old toddler has been sucking on for a while icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 39

[quote="jillmakescakes"]you ladies are terrible.... calling perfectly nice cakeballs nasty just for freebies.... shame on you.

I was laughing out loud when I read those Posts, and yes I know what (LOL) means.

The pictures are very professional,and they look very yummy.
I am sitting in front of my computer drooling, I hope you answer adamsgama's question I would like to see the answer. and what kind of chocolate do you use.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #25 of 39

Maybe you could do a small tutorial. Please, please, please

adamsgama

tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #26 of 39

Pretty!...

Edna icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #27 of 39

Your "balls' look great!

I would like to know how you did the dipping to get them to look so nice and even. I have the cake mixture perfect and my cake balls were fantastic on my first try (as I read over again and again all of the cake ball threads on this site). I had a problem with having them look perfect and consistent after dipping. I made a batch of 65 and I was getting better towards the end - but if there is a secret or some little thing that you do, can you please share? And I also am interested in what kind of chocolate you used.

I took mine to work and they were consumed in no time at all and everyone wants more. They are rather time consuming little devils to make. Mine were chocolate cake with Nutella with finely chopped pecans dipped in chocolate.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Gorgeous! So I've been adding too much icing. Waaaaaaay too much icing. Maybe that is why they have had the texture of something a 13-month old toddler has been sucking on for a while icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif lmao

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:26pm
post #29 of 39

Jill - beautiful looking treats! If Deb likes them, they must be good! My suggestion would be to try to package in such a way to take advantage of flat rate shipping. If you configure it right, you could cut the cost considerably. Good luck.

PS - Somehow, all the people that have opinions I am interested in end up on the same thread!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #30 of 39

Jill - Your cakeballs look soooo good. I'm really impressed by how smooth they are. They appear to be slightly shiney. Do you temper your chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%