Ganache

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 1:18pm by Meg147

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:22am
post #1 of 5

Am I doing something wrong? I've only made this twice, (for family thankfully) yet most people complain it's too rich or too bitter. Personally it's too rich for me, and I could never imagine coating a cake in it, yet everyone here seems to rave about it. Here is the recipe I use.

500g dark chocolate, chopped
250ml double cream
125g unsalted butter
1. Place the chopped chocolate in a large stainless steel bowl.
2. In a large, high sided saucepan, heat cream and butter over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until it just starts to boil. Watch carefully as it will boil over pan in a matter of seconds. Immediately remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate.
3. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Cool completely and then store in refrigerator. Ganache can be reheated in a double boiler over simmering water.

TIA

4 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:36am
post #2 of 5

The ganache most of us use under fondant does not have any butter just a 2:1 ratio of dark chocolate to cream or 3:1 white or milk chocolate to cream. Try it without the butter, it is still rich but I suspect less rich than your recipe. For dark chocolate use one with around 50-60% cocoa solids, if this is still too bitter go for the milk or white.

Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:53am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

The ganache most of us use under fondant does not have any butter just a 2:1 ratio of dark chocolate to cream or 3:1 white or milk chocolate to cream. Try it without the butter, it is still rich but I suspect less rich than your recipe. For dark chocolate use one with around 50-60% cocoa solids, if this is still too bitter go for the milk or white.

Thanks, I will give this a try. I'm in the UK, so can I ask, do you use the same type of cream in the US/AUS/CAN?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:15am
post #4 of 5

I'm from the UK originally, if I remember rightly double cream is the one to use (should be around 40% fat content?), called pure cream here and heavy cream in the US

Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both for your replies x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%