Colouring Ganache?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 2:42am by Elise87

Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:52am
post #1 of 12

Can i add paste colouring to colour ganache?

For eg. can i add black to make the chocolate even darker?

11 replies
Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:02am
post #2 of 12

I'm not an expert, but I imagine you can. If you wanted to make it another colour, I would use white choc. Never tried it myself, so dont quote me & stick around for a pro opinion.

Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:52am
post #3 of 12

yeh was thinking it would be cool to colour white choc too

lngo Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 12

Using the gel colors can be hit or miss because the water in the coloring can seize the chocolate.

I've colored white ganache with candy colors because those are oil based. Had no problems whatsoever and got the color I needed. The gel colors work for SOME folks, but the oil-based colors WILL work for chocolate.

Elise87 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 12

oh damn. I'm not able to get any powdered or candy colours things to colour it so all i have is the gel's at the moment.

Does the quality of the chocolate effect whether the gel will work better or not?

Or do you think if i got a really dark chocolate to use that it would almost pass off as black? lol

Bunsen Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 12

Since the cream has a high water content I think if you mix the colouring into the cream first that should prevent it reacting with the chocolate. Try a small batch first so you don't waste a lot of good chocolate!

Bunsen Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:59am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

Or do you think if i got a really dark chocolate to use that it would almost pass off as black? lol

I tried ganache with a chocolate with high cocoa solid content (80% I think) and it was too bitter, very dark tho!

Elise87 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

I tried ganache with a chocolate with high cocoa solid content (80% I think) and it was too bitter, very dark tho!

thanks for the tip about the cream! What cocoa % chocolate do you think would be the darkest but jsut the right taste where it's not milk but no really bitter?

Bunsen Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 12

I did a tasting with some friends for their wedding cake - the groom loves his dark chocolate, darker the better - so I made a milk, 55% cocoa and 70%. This was to go with dark chocolate mud cake. The winner was 55% with a bit of 70% mixed in as 70% was a bit too bitter on it's own even for a dark chocolate fan.

Just looking at what I have on hand, Callebut has 55% and Lindt Picolo is 58% - maybe one of those with some 70% added?

Elise87 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #10 of 12

great, thanks for the help bunsen icon_smile.gif

miamorsweets Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #11 of 12

I have added the candy coloring to chocolate modeling clay and got pretty close to balck, (I used it for a laptop keyboard), I've also painted onto chocolate but I think that could be difficult with regular gel colors. Do you have an airbrush?

Elise87 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:42am
post #12 of 12

nope no airbrush...i am running on the basics lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%