How Is This Made

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 11:39pm by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:42am
post #1 of 17

I wonder if the half ten inch round is on top of the sheet cake? Also what does the back part of hood look like, is it also basket weave? I can't get an answer from the person who made it, and thought maybe some of you can help. Is it crumb coated before putting half round on or after.......any tips will be appreciated. Thanks
LL

16 replies
maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:14am
post #2 of 17

well if i'm going to make this cake... i'll put the half 10" on top with supports like dowels or bubble straws and board. then crumb coat the whole cake. smooth the front part of the hood. make the basket weave, the top of the hood, back and all sides of the bottom basket. then do the borders. roll the fondant blanket, make the diamond patterns then ruffles the sides. place the fondant blanket on where it should be. and lastly, place the accents like flowers, ribbons and the message =) i'm not a pro but that will how i'll make this cake lol

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:34am
post #3 of 17

I've made this cake before & yes, you dowel for support. I made the back basketweave so the theme is continued all the way around.
Good luck!

madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you both. Hey maimai, I visited Iloilo,Bocolid and Manilla back in the mid 90s. Mabuhi, I think haha

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 17

You are going to want to dowel the heck out of that 10" round. Definitley a basketweave with a rope border on the bottom. Everything else is fondant.

I would crumbcoat the cake before doing the basketweave - just in case your basketweave doesn't line up perfectly. You won't want cake showing through.

=o)

madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

You are going to want to dowel the heck out of that 10" round. Definitley a basketweave with a rope border on the bottom. Everything else is fondant.

I would crumbcoat the cake before doing the basketweave - just in case your basketweave doesn't line up perfectly. You won't want cake showing through.

=o)

the half round is what has me worried....is that covered with fondant in front? thanks

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 17

really madgeowens? well, many have changed... good luck on your cake again =)

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

=o)

the half round is what has me worried....is that covered with fondant in front? thanks

I would say yes. I didn't do that on my bassinet cake and it didn't look super smooth. Argh! You can see that the color on your pic matches the border, and it's NOT white...

madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:11am
post #9 of 17

would you cover a ten inch round and then cut it in half? I must sound stupid haha duh

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:29am
post #10 of 17
Quote:

would you cover a ten inch round and then cut it in half? I must sound stupid haha duh

If you're doing the rest in BC, just cut out a 1/2 circle in fondant w/tylose and let it dry stiff. Dirty ice the front area and press the fondant onto the cake, no? icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 17

That cake is beautiful, I have a baby shower this weekend at church, for a friend that cake is looking good.

madgeowens Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #12 of 17

Let me see how it turns out............oh that sounds right to fondant it and then dirty ice the bottom....I have been wanting to try this for a year...can't get in touch with the person who made it ....just found out I am gonna be Nanna to number three next summer, so I have time to practice!!!

Uniqueask Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Let me see how it turns out............oh that sounds right to fondant it and then dirty ice the bottom....I have been wanting to try this for a year...can't get in touch with the person who made it ....just found out I am gonna be Nanna to number three next summer, so I have time to practice!!!

If I make it I will defianetly let you know.

madgeowens Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:34am
post #14 of 17

cool....thanks

Uniqueask Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #15 of 17

This is how mine turned out. Sorry for the background, I could not find my camera, so they took the picture at church after coffee hour was finished.
I will tell you if you are not strong on doing basketweave, you should practice, I was happy with my cake because it was free, I was not so much worried, but if it was for a paying customer I would have peferred greater results, I have not done basket weave since course 2 of Wilton classes, so it took me a while to get the hang of it, so that is defiatenily something I will be practicing on, also the fondant that I put on the front, the buttercream needed to be thicker, than a crumb coat, you can see through it at least I can, and I had lots of trouble with the blanket, it even ripped when I tried to frill it. there is a lot of things I would do different, But I just wanted to show you. It was fun to make overall.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 17

Your cake turned out very cute Uniqueask!

madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 17

wow you did a great job. Yeah I think I better practice basket weave....sometimes I am good other times not so good....I will be asking lots of questions...thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%