Decorating By PandaBear1 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 6:59am by PandaBear1

PandaBear1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:17am
post #1 of 8

Okay, so I'm planning to try a fondant recipe that calls for Glycerin. It's similar to the Michele Foster recipe.

Anyway, I'm from a small town and the only Glycerin I could find was in the pharmacy isle at Rite Aid. It's Skin Protectant Glycerin USP.

Is this the right stuff?

7 replies
Cakepro Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:36am
post #2 of 8

It is my understanding that glycerin marked as USP grade is safe for food, but don't take my word for it. You need to read the label and see if it says "External Use Only" anywhere on the bottle.

Does your small town have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby? Both of those stores sell the Wilton glycerin.

PandaBear1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 8

Lol, No. No Michael's or Hobby Lobby anywhere near-by that I know of. The closest bigger town/city that might have one is at least two hours away.

I've checked the label over and over several times and I don't find anywhere that it says "External Use Only". In the warning section it just mentions to avoid contact with eyes and "in case of accidental overdose, seek professional assistance or contact poison control".

milkmaid42 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 8

Perhaps I am overlooking something here, but wouldn't the pharmacist be able to advise you? At least he could look it up in his references.

PandaBear1 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 8

Well... um... no. You're not looking over anything. I... occasionally have 'blond' moments. (No offense intended towards blonds.) Hadn't thought of that... so... yeah.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #6 of 8

Glycerin bought at the pharmacy is often take by the teaspoon or tablesoonful for constipation. So don't put a lot in your fondant!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KateLS Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 8

I just googled it and found a site that said that places that make wine usually use glycerin. You can also buy it online. Roberts and Wilton have it. On the Wilton site it has a zipcode thing to find the closest place to you to find wilton products.
Good luck!

PandaBear1 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:59am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I took milkmaid42's advice and called the pharmacist. She told me that the stuff I bought is the kind that can be used in foods. So, I'm good! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%