i bought a jewel mold online that said it could be used with isomalt and sugar by putting the isomalt in it and then microwaving it until the isomalt has melted, has anyone ever done this? i have worked with isomalt before but i always melted it over the stove and then poured it into a mold.
The problem I have with this method is that a microwave cooks so unevenly. I would expect some of the cavities in the mold to be bubbling hot while others are only half melted. If I were going to attempt this method, I would microwave until most of the ilsomalt was melted and then I would put the whole tray in a 220 degree oven to allow everything to melt and the bubbled, overcooked cavities to settle down and de-air. Would love to know your progress if you try the "melt in tray" method.
Isomalt needs to be heated to 330 degrees to keep from clouding and melting due to humidity.