How Do I Make Gumpaste Shiny?

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm by Texas_Rose

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I made some letters with black gumpaste, but after drying they look dull. Is there anything I can do to make them look shiny? I've noticed on cake boss, he steams fondant to make it shiny. I wonder if that works for gumpaste. If you know any answers to my dilemma, please share.

Thanks! Lori

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 7

You can steam gumpaste. The shine will last for a day or two but not much longer. You can paint it with gel color mixed with vodka. You can also paint it with confectioner's glaze for a really glassy shine.

This bow was painted with confectioner's glaze:

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:25am
post #3 of 7

Oh wow, how pretty! Love those colors and thank you for the tip!!!

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:57am
post #4 of 7

In the UK we have something called confectioners varnish, this will make it very shiny and will hold it's shine for ever - IMPORTANT, once coated in the varnish, it is no longer edible, but it can be placed safely on to cake. I made a Xmas cake this year with a Holly & Ivy leaf topper - these are coated in CV - so I can keep & re-use anytime I wish. I'm sure you will find something similar/equivalent in your neck of the woods.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:58am
post #5 of 7

Edible Varnish

Great for making shiny gum paste leaves, etc.
Edible Varnish
1 t. gelatin
3 t. water
1 t. liquid glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in the water. Let stand until it becomes spongy. Dissolve until clear over hot, not boiling water, Add the liquid glucose and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour this mixture into an airtight container. The mixture will get very stiff. To use it, heat the varnish in a container of hot, not boiling, water. Paint onto the item to be varnished while the mixture is still hot. The edible varnish should NOT be kept in the refrigerator.

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for sharing!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

In the UK we have something called confectioners varnish, this will make it very shiny and will hold it's shine for ever - IMPORTANT, once coated in the varnish, it is no longer edible, but it can be placed safely on to cake. I made a Xmas cake this year with a Holly & Ivy leaf topper - these are coated in CV - so I can keep & re-use anytime I wish. I'm sure you will find something similar/equivalent in your neck of the woods.

I think that's the same as our confectioner's glaze, but here the confectioner's glaze is considered edible. It's used as a coating on some commercial candies...Junior Mints are one example. It's how the rumor that junior mints are made out of bugs got started...confectioner's glaze is made from the secretion of the lac beetle. I've never used it for something that would be eaten, but I know plenty of people who do. It's not really that gross when you think about it...we eat honey, and that's made by bees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%