I Think I Learned Something New..go Figure

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm by CakeMommyTX

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 27

Is a tiered cake one that uses pillars and a stacked cake one that the cakes sit one on top of another?
I always thought the terms were interchangeable but I think I might of had it wrong (shhh don't tell anyone , I don't want it getting around icon_wink.gif )

26 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 27

Exzachary....stacked means cake on cake...tiered means separated by pillars. However, the noun 'tier' also refers to each individual cake, even in a stacked cake. For example, the bride ordered 5 tiers, stacked. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 27

The way I figured it was since each cake was a "tier" one or more cakes was a "tiered cake".
I started saying stacked because well honestly I was forever typing "teir" and I got tired of having to spell check .
Turns out I've never actually made a tiered cake only stacked cakes. I feel smarter already...lol

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 27

I had no idea!! Turns out, I haven't made a tiered cake either. And I agree, the spelling is a bugger. Just doesn't flow off the fingers.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:30am
post #5 of 27

I don't care what its called as long as it tastes good hehehe.......icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #6 of 27

LOL!!!!!!! You are hilarious, but yeah, you got it right...if we want to be technical. But I think we ALL get lazy and use both terms in general. icon_biggrin.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:09am
post #7 of 27

So what do you call a cake that has the bottom tiers stacked, then pillars to the top?

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:11am
post #8 of 27

Hmmm, tiecked or stiers...oh wait a minute, they might start thinking of cows with the last one.

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:36am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Hmmm, tiecked or stiers...oh wait a minute, they might start thinking of cows with the last one.

LOL Before i even finished reading the sentence I giggled to myself "like cows" thinking i was just so funny....and you beat me to it! lol

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:08am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

So what do you call a cake that has the bottom tiers stacked, then pillars to the top?

Stupid looking.

LOL j/k

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:15am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Is a tiered cake one that uses pillars and a stacked cake one that the cakes sit one on top of another?
I always thought the terms were interchangeable but I think I might of had it wrong (shhh don't tell anyone , I don't want it getting around icon_wink.gif )

Cakemom - when I want to sound like I know what I;m doing, I explain it exactly like you've put here (occassionally, someone will look impressed!) Otherwise if it's in my head I just call it #cakes!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:08pm
post #12 of 27

"i before except after c"....wierd?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 27

unless you're spelling "science" or "conscience" or any of THESE words!!

Why do they even make these rules?

beige
cleidoic
codeine
conscience
deify
deity
deign
eider
eight
either
feint
feisty
foreign
forfeit
freight
heifer
height
heinous
heir
heist
neigh
neither
prescient
reign
science
seismic
seize
society
sovereign
veil
vein
weight
weir

LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 27

LOL! So much for the "i before e, unless after c" rule. icon_lol.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #15 of 27

Well dang.....burst my bubble icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

Stupid looking.

LOL j/k

icon_lol.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 27

Say what? You mean to tell me you don't have supports in between your tiers? I am going to have tears! Somebody lend me the map.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 27

The cakes are the tiers, the pillars are the pillars, not tiers. A tiered cake can be stacked or have pillars separating the tiers, they don't have tiers separating the tiers.

Just to be clear on the tier.

I do have clients who refer to pillars as "tiers' all the time, but that doesn't mean they're right. They also pronounce "fondant' in some extremely creative ways, since they all think you have to make it sound REALLY FANCY.

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:48am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

They also pronounce "fondant' in some extremely creative ways, since they all think you have to make it sound REALLY FANCY.

I had a customer request a "fondue" cake once, you know fondue just like the stuff they use on Ace of Cakes???lol
Any one for melted cheese covered cake?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:02am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I don't care what its called as long as it tastes good hehehe.......icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif ..Im with you on this!
Edna icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:34am
post #22 of 27
Quote:

icon_razz.gif Hmm. That's us told I think!

costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 11:33am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

They also pronounce "fondant' in some extremely creative ways, since they all think you have to make it sound REALLY FANCY.

I had a customer request a "fondue" cake once, you know fondue just like the stuff they use on Ace of Cakes???lol
Any one for melted cheese covered cake?

I think that I've heard that, too...Yuck.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:20pm
post #24 of 27

This is interesting, I'm with you cakemom, I guess I learned something new too.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:09pm
post #25 of 27

i've never thought of using cakes as centerpieces before-what a great idea-how many people at the table? cake and centerpiece combined!! and it drives me crazy when people (especially on tv) pronounce fondant in that houty-touty way "fon(pause-stress second syllable)dont!! lolit just sounds silly!! (of couse maybe i have it all wrong-it's been known to happen a time or two) lol

costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

i've never thought of using cakes as centerpieces before-what a great idea-how many people at the table? cake and centerpiece combined!! and it drives me crazy when people (especially on tv) pronounce fondant in that houty-touty way "fon(pause-stress second syllable)dont!! lolit just sounds silly!! (of couse maybe i have it all wrong-it's been known to happen a time or two) lol

I did cake centerpieces at a wedding this summer, and the bride and groom really liked it. (I have a blog entry about it if you want to see what it looked like.) The drawbacks are that they will probably end up being more expensive because you'll end up with extra cake, but they might be able to offset that by not having floral centerpieces. The other thing I've heard plusses and minusses about is that the guests tend to get up and walk around looking for certain cake flavors if they do different flavors on each table. Some people like that it lets them mingle, but some people think it feels like they're being made to scavenge for cake.

The funniest thing about the mispronouncing to me is that the people who come up with the most "creative" terms and pronunciations for things are usually the ones who obviously think they know best about everything. They mispronounce things with such authority...

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:08pm
post #27 of 27

I know, we have a few streets and towns here in TX that are prounounced a certain way, not neccassarily(sp?) how they are spelled (I'm sure we are the only place like that in the world btw icon_lol.gif ) and people are forever saying them wrong.
They are usually people who have'nt been here that long but it annoys the crap outta me.
Even when you tell them they are saying it wrong that insist that they are right.
Well they should know huh, I mean I've only lived her for 27 years of my life I would'nt know anything about my hometown! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%