Alcohol Free Vanilla-Electric Stove

Decorating By aundrea Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm by aundrea

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

i asked my daughter to pick me up vanilla from the store (she was at whole foods) and she got me alcohol free vanilla. ive never heard of that before. has anyone baked with it. is it any different from the 'regular' vanilla?
she also got me something called, powdered vanilla. i think it says madagascar bourbon vanilla. has anyone ever used it before-and what did you use it for.
oh and one more question-which has nothing to do with vanilla,
my landlord is putting a new stove in my house. i currently have gas and he is switching to electric. (ugh-i dont want electric!!!) are there any differenes in baking between the two. ive never had an electric stove before.
TIA

5 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

I use the Trader Joe's Vanilla with no alcohol, and other than (I think) a bit more color to it, it doesn't really seem any different in what I'm making. It's all I use, except for when I make something I want to keep lighter colored, like white buttercream, or when I want to use one of the gourmet vanillas I got in a set a while back. (It was a set of 8 small bottles.)

I've used powdered vanilla in recipes that I didn't want to dilute as well as a sprinkle on hot beverages.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

I like the powdered vanilla. I use it when I can get it. The imitation vanilla that I use most of the time doesn't have alcohol.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:55am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I like the powdered vanilla. I use it when I can get it. The imitation vanilla that I use most of the time doesn't have alcohol.

How much powdered vanilla do you use in a recipe? Is it the same amount as liquid? I've thought the powdered would be a great option for when I want white BC, but I don't know how to substitute it.

Interestingly, my sister-in-law is from Russia and she only uses powdered. She did tell me that the powdered vanilla she bought here is crappy. She gave me some that she brought from Russia, and said it is much stronger than what she bought here. I'm at a loss as to how to use it.

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

thank you for the responses.
i was thinking the same thing about adding powdered vanilla. when you want to add flavor but not liquid to frosting or cakes.
i just didnt know how baking with alcohol free vanilla would affect my cakes. i know i wouldnt use it to decorate with.
also, any advice about switching from gas to electric, if there is any difference for baking?

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

ok-so i used the alcohol free vanilla for baking last night. and its like a thick syrup. not what i was expecting. i guess its ok. i dont think i would use it again. i like my alcohol vanilla, thank-you.
i also used for the first time, vegan organic sugar. hmmm where do i start.
first i was told that it bakes like regular sugar. just hasnt been processed with animal marrow. i think it gave my cakes a different taste. not sure if i like it. its not as sweet as regular sugar. i miss that i love my sweetness.
the cake im working on for tomorrow, the gramma wanted the cake done with organic, and pure (ex:the vegan) ingredidents. and avoid alcohol if possible.
i also used organic powder sugar. i think it is better than domino that i usually use. but so expensive. i did see that there is fine icing powder sugar that is pulverized to 1/100 of regular powder sugar, but it was over 5.00 for 3/4 of pound. hmmmmm NOT! but it does look really nice and fine.
i went shopping with my friend - because she was purchasing the ingredients for the cake. and she was shocked - so was i when we cashed out. as much as i love baking with organic i could never afford it.
and that doesnt inlcude the materials. my family and friends never understand just how much it costs to make a cakes. forget the time we put into them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%