Red Velvet - Americolor Instead Of Bottled Liquid?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 5:10am by Icing2009

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 15

I have a tasting tomorrow and the bride has specifically asked to taste red velvet cake. I was thinking of making cupcakes; some red and some pink to see if she might like that also...

The recipe calls for a 1oz bottle of liquid food colour. If subbing with gel colour (Americolor), how much should I use? (I have not made RV cake before, so am not familiar with what colour the batter should be).

Thx.

14 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 15

I just made some using 1/2 tsp gel color, it's not quite as red as using the liquid (I posted a pic on my blog - putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com of the differences in color)- you can see the difference of the two.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:35am
post #3 of 15

I use about a tbsp Americolor and I get a very strong, bright red. I dissolve it in the buttermilk.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:17am
post #4 of 15

I use the "no taste red " from Wiltons it gives a real nice dark red.

-Tubbs Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you for your responses.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 15

A little bit of Americolor goes a long way! I just add the color until it's the right shade.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #7 of 15

with using all that coloring, will the color bleed through the icing? my friend just went to a wedding where the red bled through the frosting. this friend has asked me to do her wedding cake and originally wanted red velvet, but is afraid to do it as she doesn't want fondant. i've never worked with real red velvet, so i had no clue what to tell her

-Tubbs Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 15

Well, I made the cupcakes. I added about 2tsp of Americolor, and YUP -they're pretty red! It looks and tastes ok, I guess. I don't really get the whole red velvet thing personally....

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 15

Tubbs, what recipe did you use? and did you like it?

-Tubbs Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 15

I used Chef Stef's recipe, from this site. I followed the receipe except I added 2 TBS cocoa, rather than the 1 TSP called for in the receipe (that didn't sound enough to make any impact, and all the other recipes I found called for 2 TBS).

They were ok - like I say, I don't really get what the big deal is with red velvet. My bride and groom liked them though. They were kind of dark red rather than the very bright red that you see sometimes (maybe that extra cocoa...?)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by andlydle

my friend just went to a wedding where the red bled through the frosting.

Then that decorator doesn't know what she is doing. I do red velvet all the time, BC, fondant, you name it. Take care to not pull up crumbs when icing it, and you're fine. Maybe go a little thick than normal to make sure you don't see the red cake through the icing.

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 15

I don't get the whole Red Velvet thing. I have tried recipe after recipe and well, maybe it just isn't something that I like. I tried yet another recipe this past week. I did a small amount of batter and baked one 7" layer. And.....I forgot to add the vanilla! AHHHHHHHH! but in any event, I actually like the taste and texture of this one the best so far (even without the vanilla). I used the recipe in Melissa Gray's "All Cakes Considered". Mind you, I still don't like red velvet..but this one seems the best to me so far.

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 15

The extra cocoa makes it darker. Some recipes call for less and some call for more, just depends on how much you put in. I use 2 tbsp of cocoa so it makes it that nice rich deep red. But it's very good!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 15

I really don't care for red velvet but there are lots of people who love it. I've tried a few recipes but the one that everyone loves is Rachel Cheatwood's recipe. That's the only one that I get a lot of orders for.

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:10am
post #15 of 15

I have a recipe that I would be glad to give you to try if you want it or to see if it's the same. Ours has been used for years in our family and is well liked. I've also used it for a few cake orders and has been a big hit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%