How To Make A Cowboy Hat Topper?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 2:40am by sweetcakes

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

I need to make a cowboy hat topper for a 6" cake. Can anybody give me instructions for that? I can't find anything in the search option other than a cake hat and I don't want to make mine out of cake.

I'm assuming RKT would be good here. I just need some pointers on making the brim! Thanks in advance!

7 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:35am
post #2 of 8

ive done several. roll your 50/50 mix out and cut into an oval shape or round, then i take a plastic tub, like a 3lb sour cream tub, cut off the top edge lip and totally cut out the bottom, cut the (now tube) so you can open it up. place you 50/50 circle on the inside of the sour cream tub so the sides bend upwards. if the curl is not enough i have secured it with tape or string to help it keep its shape. then let dry. it is a good idea to get the hat part started so you can place that in the middle that way the brim can stay flat in the very center otherwise it doesn;t tend to sit well. hope that makes sense.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:12am
post #3 of 8

Look at tutorial in Cake Central "Articles" - search for How To Make A Cowboy Hat Cake". I know you don't want to make a topper as cake, but instructions does give some good advice re making the brim. I would think you would use same method but on a smaller scale for a 6" cake topper. Good luck.

LoriMc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 8

Ok thanks!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 8

For this topper, I cut out a circle and put it in a flower former to dry for the rim. Then I took a ball of fondant/gumpaste. I flattened out the bottom and straightened the sides a bit. Then I pressed a dowel rod on the top to two separate side. After that, I just shaped a bit to make the right shape.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426345

LoriMc Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

For this topper, I cut out a circle and put it in a flower former to dry for the rim. Then I took a ball of fondant/gumpaste. I flattened out the bottom and straightened the sides a bit. Then I pressed a dowel rod on the top to two separate side. After that, I just shaped a bit to make the right shape.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426345

Is that on top of a 6" cake? I'm trying to find something the right size to dry the rim on. I don't think I have a flower former that big. I'm wondering if I could find a shallow bowl that would work.

Do you remember how big the rim was when you cut it out? Thanks!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 8

It was a 6" cake, but after I did it I found myself wishing I had made it a little larger. I don't remember what I used to cut out the circle, so I don't remember the exact size either. I would think a shallow bowl or a saucer would work fine, or as sweetcakes said, a sour cream or margarine tub.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

my top tiers under my hats have been 6" and one was 8", the way i did it worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%