Quilting Question

Decorating By Bel_Anne Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm by tonedna

Bel_Anne Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

Just wondering if the quilting embossing mats are for use on fondant? Or just buttercream? And if so, how do you use them?
There are already posts on this topic but this site won't let me read them.... keeps taking me back to the home page.

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

7 replies
bettinashoe Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

I've used the embossing mats on fondant. I place the rolled fondant onto the mat and then lightly roll a rolling pin over the fondant. The fondant can then be placed on the cake. It takes a little practice because you don't want your fondant to stretch out when you're putting it on the crumb-coated cake. Hope this helps!

Bel_Anne Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I just didn't want to buy one if they weren't for fondant use. I think I'll be too wimpy to emboss it then cover it... haha. I guess I'll try while it's on the cake.

Is there any other way to create embossing on fondant? Can you use a ruler or the like?

bettinashoe Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 8

I've got some smaller embossing mats that are about 4 inches by 4 inches that you can just work your way around the piece with. Fondant takes patterns really easily. You could always wrap the mat around the cake after you have the fondant on the cake but it would be a little difficult to get the pressure even and your pattern will probably not be consistent all the way around the cake. You can use almost anything to emboss on fondant, as long as it is considered food safe. My suggestion is to experiment a little and see what you come up with. I found some really nice silicone oven grips that happened to have a raised leaf pattern on one side of them and I've even used them for embossing. Your imagination is the only limit! If it doesn't work, you can always roll the fondant up and start over again!

tonedna Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 8

There is a few ways to emboss the diamond. One is the Diamond mat. It marks the diamond bit is not a deep indentation. It makes a better one over buttercream, but still looks great on fondant.
Then you have the quilting diamonds. There is one that has 3 diamonds that marks them in a row. You have to go all around the cake marking this line by line. Deep indentation. Looks really pretty.
Then, you can use a triangle ruler, and a rotary marker. You do line by line. It's time consuming but looks really pretty too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Bel_Anne Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 8

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think I like the idea of the quilting diamonds. I had no idea that even existed. I like tools I have more control over... I'll get one of those!

bettinashoe Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:38am
post #7 of 8

Thanks Edna, I did get a little off track on the quilting subject didn't I? I just love playing with fondant!

tonedna Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Thanks Edna, I did get a little off track on the quilting subject didn't I? I just love playing with fondant!

We all love playing with fondant! icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%