Fondant

Decorating By cakepanpam Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 2:03am by shelly-101

cakepanpam Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 7

I have really caught on to covering cakes in fondant but I have noticed that after I have covered the cake it tends to pull away from the sides a little. I am just wondering if after I ice my cake in buttercream do I need to also spray on a little water. Does anybody have any hints as to what I am doing wrong to cause the fondant not to stick in certain spots or any suggestions on what to do to make the cake stick to the sides better. Thanks for any advice!

6 replies
amberkw Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

I have been using fondant a little while and see this every now and again. I would like to know as well. You are not alone on this one! I have read some people use that technique, but are you supposed to do it all the time? Anyone???

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

I used to have that problem, but I haven't had it since I started chilling the cakes before I cover them. I think the little bit of condensation that forms sticks the fondant down to the buttercream all over.

Chris6703 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 7

Texas Rose is correct. The condensation will hold the fondant down...if you are pressed for time, a light spray mist will also help.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 7

Can you refrigerate fondant on the cake?

Rylan Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

Can you refrigerate fondant on the cake?

You will get many answers to this.

I always refrigerate my cakes and fortunately, I never had a single problem.

If you can do it without refrigerating (no perishable fillings, cool room), then it would be fine on the counter.

shelly-101 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

I too always refrigerate my cakes and have never had any problems (knock on wood) some people don't because fondant can sweat and cause problems like if you airbrush your cakes it could cause the color to run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%