How Do Make My Own Photo Image?

Decorating By Bbakescakes Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm by icingimages

Bbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bbakescakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake that I would like to make, and I would love to use a real life picture for the image. How do most of you do this...I have heard to use rice paper and a cheap, new printer for my computer, but not sure what all is involved...obiviously I would need to use some sort of special ink...what is it though?
Thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 4

I know that some grocery store bakeries have edible image printers and you can bring in your image and they'll print it for you (for a fee, of course). You might not want to go out and buy a printer and paper if you aren't planning to use it after this project.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 4

You will need a printer and edible inks. Photofrost, KopyKake are two brands. (Just the first two that popped into my head.)

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 4

If you are planning to print just one here and there, it is best to have someone do it for you. Unless you are going to print at least once per week, its just not worth the investment. We print for people and as Springfflower said, some local grocery stores will print for you. If you cant find a local store, you can call us and we can usually refer you to someone in your area.

Now, if you are going to print more than once per week, than you want to purcahse a printer. It is a rather simple concept. You are using a printer that uses edible ink and edible paper. It is stricktly an output process. There are two types of systems out there. Ones that work without the use of a computer, similar to a copier, and ones that use a computer. Since you have a computer, we feel this is the best method of printing, as anything you can get in to your computer, you can print! That means you have access to the whole world through the internet, as long as you are not printing and selling copywritten images. So the next question is do you have a scanner? If you do, you want to use a printer only system. No need to pay for redundant equipment by purchasing a system that has a scanner in it, just go for the systems that only have the printer. If you do not have a scanner, the most cost effective way is to purchases a system that again, is like a copier, only you hook it up to you computer and you use it like a scanner and then you print with it.

Now, what brand of printer. There are two successful brands of printers out there. We have used and trusted the Canon line for 10 years because of the removable printhead. What this means is that if you get a clog in your printer, the Canon printer has a piece that you can pull out and clean and replace if necessary. The other brand is epson. This brand has been used in the industry for about 2-3 years. The printhead is not removable so if you do get a clog, you have a hard time cleaning it. If the clog is cumbersome you have to replace the printer. Once you decide on a printer brand, you need to decide on the company you want to purchase supplies from. Do not purchase a system unless you find the company you want ot work with and verify that the printer is compatable.

Now for choosing a supply company. 1st, check on cake central. You obviously get great feedback here on different types of systems and companies. Once you narrow that down, there are only a few of us out there, than call them. Do you like them. Find out their turnaround times for getting out orders. Are they helpful to you? What do they say about their products. Price is not as important as everyone is pretty competiative with one another.

It seems like a lot, but its not really. Just like anything else, you want a company that is there for you and sells a good product and gets it to you in a timely manner.

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to PM me or call.

Thanks and good luck! I hope this is helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%