Ri Using Egg Whites

Baking By kkswmmr114 Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm by kkswmmr114

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 11

I see everyone likes to use Toba's glace or RI using meringue powder, why doesn't anyone use RI with egg whites?? I would love to make Toba's glace, but I don't have white color. I also don't have any meringue powder so my only option is to use RI with the egg whites. I live in middle-of-nowhere Texas and to get the color and/or meringue powder I would have to drive 1 hour one-way, and that isn't happening just for one little item.

Also, I am making cookies that will be eaten Sunday. I baked them last night, is that too early?? Will they go stale?? I really have no choice though, I have a full time job and had to do them early so I could get them decorated as well.

Thank you for all of the help!! I have made the traditional sugar cookies with my family every year but those always look like a one-year-old did them. This is my first time making cookies that someone is buying from me and I want them to at least be edible...

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 11

Walmart has meringue powder. You can also buy powdered egg white at any grocery store. It's usually in the aisle with the gravy mixes. You have to use a royal icing recipe that calls for egg white and then follow the directions on the can to make the right amount of egg white from the powder, because unlike meringue powder it doesn't have the vanilla or other stuff.

The reason people don't use egg whites is because of the risk of making people sick. It's not a major risk...I know I eat a little raw egg every time I make a batch of cookie dough (how else are you going to tell if it tastes good icon_biggrin.gif but to taste the raw dough) but for some people with weakened immune systems they have a higher chance of getting salmonella poisoning.

I put marshmallow fondant on my cookies. It's faster and I don't have the best of luck with royal icing, or patience to allow for long drying times.

Anyhow, cookies will keep at least a week, so you're fine baking now. Just protect them from dust while they're drying.

kkswmmr114 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you! The nearest Walmart is an hour away. We have a United grocery store here, but they don't carry much. I have never heard of powdered egg whites... I may have to run to the store to see if we have that...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 11

This is what the package looks like: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00168637Y/?tag=cakecentral-20 but the price on Amazon is higher than the grocery store price. When I bought it, it was four or five dollars for the can.

Wow, an hour from the nearest Walmart...what city are you in, if you don't mind me being nosy? My husband keeps talking about moving to some tiny town and I don't want to live an hour from the nearest Walmart icon_biggrin.gif

If you're comfortable using fondant, it's really easy to put on cookies...just cut it out with the same cookie cutter and put it on the cookies when they're hot out of the oven, still on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a cooling grid, and the heat of the cookies will melt the fondant just enough to stick it to the cookies. It comes out pretty too:

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 11

I use to use RI with real egg whites all the time and didn't think anything of it cose that's all i knew and then i came on this website and got freaked out with ppl saying raw egg whites in RI are risky! so i changed to antonia's recipe and use powdered egg whites now lol

kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 11

Texas_Rose- it is extremely difficult living that far from Walmart!! Lol. I line in Perryton. It is 7 miles from the Oklahoma panhandle. The really funny thing is that there are 3 walmarts that are all an exactly an hour away. I can stay in Texas, go to Oklahoma or Kansas. It's crazy. I just moved here a few months ago and I used to have a Walmart around the corner... it is very hard adjusting!! Lol.

Elise- What is the recipe you use with the powdered egg whites??

Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:56am
post #7 of 11

Royal Icing

3 cups icing sugar
2 egg whites
8 drops lemon juice

Very lightly whisk egg whites then add icing sugar a bit at a time beating well after each addition, then add lemon juice

It is usually pretty thick so just add more lemon juice or water to thin it down or i guess even just put as much of the icing sugar as you think is right for you.

Can halve or double recipe if want. I just got this from an old cook book

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:56am
post #8 of 11

You can always use the pasturized liquid egg whites in a carton if you are worried about salmonella.

Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #9 of 11

whoops oh damn i jsut realised u said what recipe do i use for the POWDERED EGGWHITES! icon_redface.gif

Sorry

I use Antonia74's RI icon_biggrin.gif

kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 11

Elise- when you use Atonias recipe do you just use the powdered egg whites in place of the meringue powder??

kkswmmr114 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 11

Ok, just got back from the only grocery store I can go to without driving an hour and the only thing they had was the egg whites in a carton!! No meringue powder (I already knew that though) but no powdered egg whites either. I didn't think they had the carton of egg whites. I could have sworn last time I looked they didn't, but I figured I didn't have anything to lose today and there they were... stuffed in a corner. I am sooooo lucky they had something!!

Thanks for all of the help guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%