I'm Finally Getting My Appliances!!

Business By adven68 Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 3:23am by bigmama1961

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 22

Well, after procrastinating for a couple of weeks (I've only been paying rent for 4 months) icon_rolleyes.gif LOL, I finally went ahead and ordered my aplliances for Sweet Irene, my new cake shoppe! They are being delivered on Saturday

I got a Blodgett convection oven
a Hobart 20 qt. mixer
a 5 ft. refrigerated display case
and a beautiful glass door Fagor refrigerator along with a giant ss worktable & some other small stuff....pans, whisks, etc...

I think I may need a freezer...what do you guys think?

I already have a low-boy fridge and all of my 80 sinks are installed. (There are actually only 5, but the space is so small that it may as well be 80)

wish me luck...wish me luck!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 22

party.gif Woot! Woot! Congratulations! party.gif

I know you've been patiently (maybe not icon_wink.gif ) waiting and I'm really happy for you!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 22

Congrats and best of luck!! Are in Brooklyn as in NY? please say yes!! So I can coem over and have some cake at your shop. lol

rosiecast Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 22

Ok, I just checked. You're in NY!! Yeay!!!! Please keep us posted for the grand opening. I'll be the first in line.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 22

Congratulations!!!!
I opened my shop back in July and it seems you have everything you will need, I would definately get a freezer, the freezer is my best friend! specially if you want to bake ahead and keep your cakes moist.

You HAVE to order a 'commercial' freezer, I got a regular Frigidaire and it died within two years; I think Lowe's has the same freezer but in the commercial version (bigger motor).

I just ordered a 2-door upright refrigerated case today, I was only doing custom cakes but I have people coming in daily looking for cakes and cupcakes, so I may as well take advantage of that.

Make sure you bake a trial run before real orders just to get used the equipment...convection ovens can be tricky (I bake @275F instead of 325F).

Good luck to you and have fun with your need equipment!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 22

Congratulations, and good luck on Your New Business, I was thinking about taking your LV handbag class, in January with the New York Cake decorators group. ( I hope I am talking about the right person). but the class is full, and also it is on a Sunday and I live upstate I would not make it in time for the bus to get back home for work. I checked out your site and your work is amazing.
When I come to NY to visit my family I will make sure and visit your bakery, Hopefully I will be able to attend the next class that you teach.

God Bless.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 22

I am so excited for you!

As for the freezer...YES! Get one and use it often.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 22

Congratulations!!! How exciting!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 22

Yeah for you.... new refrigerators are so shiny---we just got a new SS fridge at auction. I just stared at it lovingly for a little while.

adven68 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:15am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Congrats and best of luck!! Are in Brooklyn as in NY? please say yes!! So I can coem over and have some cake at your shop. lol

yep...Bklyn, New Yawk....I'll have a grand opening week probably the week before Christmas if all goes well.....thanks for the good wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Congratulations, and good luck on Your New Business, I was thinking about taking your LV handbag class, in January with the New York Cake decorators group. ( I hope I am talking about the right person). but the class is full, and also it is on a Sunday and I live upstate I would not make it in time for the bus to get back home for work. I checked out your site and your work is amazing.
When I come to NY to visit my family I will make sure and visit your bakery, Hopefully I will be able to attend the next class that you teach.

Yes...that's me, alright. I'll have to see about getting a few more classes scheduled. Hopefully, I will be doing that on my own...let's see what time allows me! Keep watching the decorator's meetup for more info! Thanks!!!

and thanks for all the "freezer" advice...I think it's wise to get one...let's see what space I have after everything is in place this weekend....I really appreciate everyone's comments..

thanks again,

Irene

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:21am
post #11 of 22

Congrats on getting your new shop all tricked out! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Please take lots of photos for those of us who can't make your grand opening. birthday.gifparty.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 22

OH YAY!!! I am so happy for you!! And ditto on the pictures request... we MUST see. Congrats!!!

rosiecast Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 22

Irene, That's great!! I so want to come and check it out.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:

Hey rosiecast, let me know how things work out for you with the # I give you.
and where is Hastings Downstate or Upstate.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 22

Which part of Brooklyn? I live in Brooklyn, i would love to come by!!

adven68 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:51am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

Which part of Brooklyn? I live in Brooklyn, i would love to come by!!

I'm in bay Ridge...The storefront is 8811 3rd avenue, between 88th & 89th......

icon_smile.gif

BTW....the low-boy fridge that I had needed service, so as I called for the appointment, the repairman mentioned that it can be used as either a fridge or a freezer, depending on the freon you use to fill it.
I made it into a freezer...it now works perfectly...
I also bought legs for it and it's going to be counter height, which will be an additional workspace. Thanks for all your advice!!! I will post pictures in a couple days, after the appliances are all in place....

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:07am
post #17 of 22

CONGRATS AND BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:39am
post #18 of 22

Yay! Congratulations to you. I was looking at some of your fabulous cakes on youtube only last night! Please do post some photos and I am so glad that there might be an opportunity to take some classes with you and another reason to visit NY!!

rosiecast Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

HI Unique, I jhaven't gotten a chance to call yet. hastings is next to yonkers. About 20 mins from NYC.

Uniqueask Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HI Unique, I jhaven't gotten a chance to call yet. hastings is next to yonkers. About 20 mins from NYC.

Ok, I think that is still considered downstate I live way upstate, 5 hrs away from NYC by Trailways bus, Three if you are driving. I will look for the NYC # and Pm you with it. but it might not be until after the holidays.

rosiecast Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:01am
post #21 of 22

Unique- thanks that would be great., no rush. I hope they give me good news. lol

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:23am
post #22 of 22

Thats great so happy for u..wish you all the luck and sucess..HAPPY BAKING...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%