Thinly Rolled Fondant Can Be Used For Edible Images

Decorating By Mark-Mexicano Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm by jobueno

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 24

hey you guys I was thinking about this for a long time cause I spend so much money on edible images each month sooo yesterday I tried it...

How To Make edible paper for edible printers
1. Roll MMF out super thin (like paper thin)
2. let it dry just so you can handle it without it stretching
3. cut it to the size of the paper
4. tape MMF sheet to a sheet of paper
5. when ready feed thru edible printer like normal

23 replies
Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 24

That is GREAT! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the info. Hmm, santa might have to bring me a new printer this year.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 24

Makes me want to get a printer for edible images but since I just got a cricut I better wait but I will remember this, thanks!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:48am
post #4 of 24

That's awesome! I have been saving the acetate sheets that are the backing for the Icing Images frosting sheets I use just to try it. Glad to hear it works! icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:13am
post #5 of 24

Thanks great idea, I've wondered if that would work.

EdibleSupply-Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleSupply-Com Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 24

Mark-Mexicano - do you attend any cake show like ICES?

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 24

Wow! That's great to know! I am going to start saving the sheets!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 24

I will have teo try that here teo see how it works on the different printers. I am sure the key is to make it very thin.

Mark-Mexicano Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #9 of 24

EdibleSupply-Com- umm no ive never been to a cake show

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 24

Dear Mark-Mexicano:

Where did you find out about edible printer? From the Maz or friend?

Mark-Mexicano Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #11 of 24

I've seen them on tv and stuff and no cake shop within 150 miles offers edible pictures on cakes so i thought i would give it a shot (which now about 70 percent of my cakes have edible pictures on them so it has really paid off!)

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 9:35am
post #12 of 24

Thank you for your reply and which brand's printer that you have?

Mark-Mexicano Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 24

It's a canon IP5200
I got it on sale for like $30

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 24

Are you using refillable cartridges for your Canon IP5200?

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 24

Dear Mark-Mexicano:

Do you know by using MMF for Edible Paper, how long will it to dry out or crack?

Mark-Mexicano Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 24

yes I have refilled once but at first they were horrible I had to prime? the printer like 20 times to get it to print rite everytime i had to print somthing.???? but it recently started to work fine soo I dont know what the problem was.. I have kept the paper in a plastic ziplock bag for over a month but longer that im not sure.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 11:28pm
post #17 of 24

Thanks for sharing, OP!

EdibleSupply-Com Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 9:14am
post #18 of 24

sponge cartridge may be hard to refill because after while sponge get hard and does not easily to sucking edible ink. You need to wait for sponge get soft then it will takes more ink.

Mark-Mexicano Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:46am
post #19 of 24

O that makes sence, thank you for the info!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:51am
post #20 of 24

Mark. i cant wait to try this out. i just got a printer recently. BTW your cakes are stunning, but i cant help but think you way WAY undercharge. I dare say you price for your market, but can you really make a profit with pricing so low?

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #21 of 24

Hey Mark, I tried the fondant. My printer is a Cannon i445. The heads to my printer got damaged. What did I do wrong? The fondnat was extremely thin. So thin it actually ripped as it was being pulled through because the roller has these "teeth" to push paper through. I really would like your method to work for me to. Is there any advice you can give me?

I had to buy a new printer head.

Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:11am
post #22 of 24

sweet cakes, Thank you for letting me know you like my cakes i've never heard that from a fellow caker. I know I don't charge what I should but I live on a reservation.... for some one who was never been here it really hard to explain the environment that we live in. Tuba city is home to 8,000 people we are the largest city on the reservation (the Navajo reservation is the size of South Carolina) the only city with over 500 people other us is 2 hours away. The only jobs for the people who live here is if you work at the hospital or if you are a teacher so the unemployment rate is well OVER 50%. So I am ok with charging what I charge because I want people to be able to get a great cake at a reasonable price. I do make a reasonable profit its not as much as a person who charges $5 a serving, but Im only 15 so I dont have a car payment or tons of bills a normal person has. Well I know you didnt ask all these questions but I hope it answered yours. Mark Mexicano

Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:28am
post #23 of 24

Jobueno, I am so sorry that your printer broke. I think the problem was the fondant had not dried long enough. Then it is the rite thickness I cut it and let it dry till it can be handled without tearing or stretching when it is there I tape it to a piece of paper on all four sides (the whole way from end to end) then I let it dry till it is not soft but still flexible (sometimes a few hours is ok or sometimes you can leave it on the counter over night depends on the weather) it needs to be flexible not soft or brittle, hope this helps im so sorry this happened to you. I have only used this with my printer and I print well over 30 sheets a month so this works for me but it might not work for everybody sorry.
Mark Mexicano

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 12:35pm
post #24 of 24

Not a problem the replacement was cheap. I would like to make it work for me too. I would very much prefer printing on fondant rather than rice paper or icing sheets. I will try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%