Making Caramel - Did I Do Something Wrong???

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 4:05am by Classycakes

Classycakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen so many posts about the wonderful caramel made by boiling sweetened condensed milk that I figured I'd try it.

I boiled it totally submerged in water for three hours, waited for it to cool and then opened the can.

It was the consistency of pudding, not caramel-like at all. Didn't taste like caramel either!! I thought it would come out like the soft caramel in a Caramilk bar or like the caramel in the Turtles chocolates. Boy, was I disappointed!!!

Did I do something wrong? Is it supposed to look and taste like pudding?

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

The longer you boil it the thicker it gets. I like it where it is still soft but a nice golden color. It doesn't taste exactly like caramel though.

CrazyCatLady Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

I've never made caramel that way, but I hear it's delicious! I can't imagine what would make it taste like pudding. Hopefully one of the successful caramel makers on here will be able to help you!

Classycakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

I hope so because I'm still scratching my head over this one icon_cool.gif

cookie_fun Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

It sounds like you may not have boiled it long enough. I don't do mine in the can though.

I open the can and simmer in a saucepan over a very low heat for approx 18 minutes. It turns a deep golden color and as it cools down thickens quite a bit. Definitely tastes like caramel when it's done.

Sorry it didn't work out though. I know lots of people who do it in the can and have had great success. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

I always take the label off the can and completely remove the top of the can. I place it in a pot of water (almost to the top of the can) and let it boil FOREVER, i stir it pretty often and just go find something else to do, because it's a pretty long process. It will thicken up once you let it cool a little and it does taste like caramel to me. I suppose you could mix the completely cooled mixture with some buttercream and have a good caramel buttercream.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

Just a few recommendations:

http://eaglebrand.com/recipes/details/?RecipeId=4002&category=-1

Caramel Sauce
For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (an old cooking method) is NOT recommended.

Using 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk:

Oven Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bakei at 425 degrees F for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until smooth.

Stovetop Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Simmeri over low heat for 1 to 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel-colored, stirring occasionally. Beat until smooth.

Microwave Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into a 2-quart glass measuring cup. Cook on 50% power (medium) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until smooth. Cook on 30% power (medium-low) 20 to 25 minutes or until very thick and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16 minutes and every 2 minutes during the last 4 to 10 minutes.

HTH
Rae

Classycakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone - I think I'll give it another try only this time I won't heat it in the can!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%