Making Caramel - Did I Do Something Wrong???

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 4:05am by Classycakes

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen so many posts about the wonderful caramel made by boiling sweetened condensed milk that I figured I'd try it.

I boiled it totally submerged in water for three hours, waited for it to cool and then opened the can.

It was the consistency of pudding, not caramel-like at all. Didn't taste like caramel either!! I thought it would come out like the soft caramel in a Caramilk bar or like the caramel in the Turtles chocolates. Boy, was I disappointed!!!

Did I do something wrong? Is it supposed to look and taste like pudding?

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

The longer you boil it the thicker it gets. I like it where it is still soft but a nice golden color. It doesn't taste exactly like caramel though.

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

I've never made caramel that way, but I hear it's delicious! I can't imagine what would make it taste like pudding. Hopefully one of the successful caramel makers on here will be able to help you!

Classycakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

I hope so because I'm still scratching my head over this one icon_cool.gif

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

It sounds like you may not have boiled it long enough. I don't do mine in the can though.

I open the can and simmer in a saucepan over a very low heat for approx 18 minutes. It turns a deep golden color and as it cools down thickens quite a bit. Definitely tastes like caramel when it's done.

Sorry it didn't work out though. I know lots of people who do it in the can and have had great success. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

I always take the label off the can and completely remove the top of the can. I place it in a pot of water (almost to the top of the can) and let it boil FOREVER, i stir it pretty often and just go find something else to do, because it's a pretty long process. It will thicken up once you let it cool a little and it does taste like caramel to me. I suppose you could mix the completely cooled mixture with some buttercream and have a good caramel buttercream.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

Just a few recommendations:

http://eaglebrand.com/recipes/details/?RecipeId=4002&category=-1

Caramel Sauce
For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (an old cooking method) is NOT recommended.

Using 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk:

Oven Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bakei at 425 degrees F for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until smooth.

Stovetop Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Simmeri over low heat for 1 to 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel-colored, stirring occasionally. Beat until smooth.

Microwave Method
Pour sweetened condensed milk into a 2-quart glass measuring cup. Cook on 50% power (medium) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until smooth. Cook on 30% power (medium-low) 20 to 25 minutes or until very thick and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16 minutes and every 2 minutes during the last 4 to 10 minutes.

HTH
Rae

Classycakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone - I think I'll give it another try only this time I won't heat it in the can!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%