28 Years Of Decorating And Had My First Disaster!! Help!!!

Decorating By tlcelebrations Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 2:15am by Erin3085

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:48am
post #31 of 56

That's exactly it, All4cake. From a business/client perspective you do all you can to ensure the happiest result in the brides favour... and to rid yourself of any guilt. As it was YOUR mistake (well, it was on your watch, anyway). An optimist would consider this pretty lucky, as the only full refund in 28years. But from a HUMAN BEING's perspective... the bride/groom should recognise all the effort the OP went to. If they don't do that, and OFFER to pay 50%, there's nothing you can do about it. Apart from suggesting she buy a new soul with the refund... icon_wink.gif

I hate weddings.... Haha.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:11am
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I showed the mom, bride & groom what happened, explained what I was doing, explained that we could still cut-n-serve the bottom tier, but we'd do it in the kitchen, and I offered them a refund that was the value of the bottom tier ($200).

I had a great bride, though. WHen they paid me at the end of the night (cake and buffet), they said "We deducted the $200 like you said, but we added a $200 tip for your staff." I blurted out, "Are you sure? I mean, I messed up your cake!" Mom said, everyone was happy with the service, the food, and the cake was still beautiful... thumbs_up.gif

Initiating a remedy to a situation helps to keep a customer...any customer...from getting on the offensive...your scenario, indydebi, is a perfect example of how it can have a positive outcome and kept your bride a great bride and the situation well under control. Would that same situation been as pleasant had you not taken the first step...had you not made your offer...had you not mentioned the need for the design change?

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:09pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCurry

I agree with Bel_Anne comments. While you went above and beyond to provide the bride her dream wedding cake and repair it, the final cake was not what she ordered. To me, it does not matter that she served the cake. This may have been the only dessert or she may have wanted to further disrupt the day by guest asking where is the cake. If this were a birthday party or baby shower, I would more than likely side with most of the other comments but this is a wedding which I consider extra special.

Consider explaining the situation (again, you did a great job trying to make it right) to her and start at offering her 50% refund as a compromise to her request. However, if she does not move from 100% refund, I would refund her. From future business and word of mouth about your reputation, you will gain in the long run. Even if she brings up the cake issue in the future (and she will), she will always have to say she got a partial or full refund, how professional you were and apologized many times. I'd even throw in a well wishes note with whatever refund you decide and take the high road.

Sorry to hear about the problem and let us know what you decide. Best wishes, this is a hard one.

There is legal presidence where this is concerned. A cake decorator won a lawsuit against her for delivering a damaged cake that was completely consumed. The cake wasn't even decorated the way of the original design but that was in part to the bride providing margarita glasses instead of champagne flutes as pillars, but the decorator was very amature and didn't really know how to do that method of using inverted stemware as pillars. But the judge said that the item was consumed and therefore the bride was not due any money.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #34 of 56

Wow. CakesDivine, that's truly revealing huh. Got any more particulars on it? Where it was or anything?

So I'm gonna take it one step further. To me the 'rush to refund' syndrome is closely related to the cancer of underpricing. It's based on 'feelings'. It's guilt based rather than business/reality based.

I'm not saying full refunds aren't warranted in some cases I'm saying when someone goes to the lengths this caker did like our op she should not be hounded/haunted by a full refund request from the clueless bride.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm
post #35 of 56

I had a cake completely crash on me this past summer. It was my fault; I felt from the start that something was wrong. I doweled it correctly, put in a center dowel (yes, I had it completely stacked prior to delivery; which I always do...). One thing I did wrong for sure was that I used a not so sturdy but pretty cake plate, this proved to be my downfall! I got to the venue opened my vehicle and found a completely demolished cake. Only the top tier was usable (with problems I might add). I ended up putting the top tier onto the cake table, covered some damage with flowers and went to a local bakery and bought a couple sheet cakes. I returned to the venue explained what had happened to the bride and grooms mothers in tears mind you (this was my first disaster to date) gave them a full refund right there.

The next morning I get a very nice email from the bride and the groom telling me how bad they felt for me! They even proceeded to give great reviews on a couple websites never mentioning what had happened. I also have gotten since a referral from them. In my situation I needed to give the full refund (not sure what you should do, however some refund is required). This may not be what you want, but what if some bad word of mouth reviews prevents you from making xxx$, maybe in the end a refund would have been much less of a lose.

Just to add, since then I have used SPS I have not been fearful of a cake since!

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #36 of 56

This is a "toughy"..but my thought was, if you have decorated for that many years with no mistakes at this cost then you are actually a very lucky person.. I'm not sure what if any thing should be asked for and/or refunded, but I will say this, if I asked someone to paint me a painting and it was damaged I wouldn't pay for it. I suppose they shouldn't have eaten it to have demanded all the refund back, but truth be told, I would have called her or her wedding planner telling one of them the news, suggesting what you "could" do... just giving the two tiers..plus...letting them decide what if anything should have been done, knocking off the price of the former wedding cake if they decided to accept your suggestions.. I think this has been a good example for all of us here, so in the future we can avoid this situation because truth be told some cakes cannot be repairable... And in the end it has to be the bride's decision whether she will accept a cake that is missing a tier and/or added cake. Being a bride she probably will talk of her "drama" at her wedding..lol..comes with the territory..but if you have a 28? year decoration reputation with no mishaps then you shouldn't worry about it, just do the right thing. I personally would not accept money for a cake like that..and chalk it up to good experience..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:40pm
post #37 of 56

To me the issue with the analogy of a damaged painting is that you never relied on the painting as your dessert for your event. I mean there's no freshness issue that has to then also taste good and serve well.

I get what you mean but paintings are too much different than cake. A painting has a looooooong shelf life--a wedding cake is pinpoint accuracy and is almost immediately consumed--completely different.

To me cake kinda stands alone as this unique commodity for a celebration.

Has to be fresh, taste good, serve well, be beautiful, be a certain flavor, texture, certain fillings, certain icings, certain decor.

Has to be the focal point as well as the perfect custom made servable dessert.

And on my order blank contract I say I reserve the right to make thier cake to the best of my ability. In other words, I take all the pressure off them. I'm not calling the bride and saying hey something happened what do you want me to do--no, to me she's getting married--I'm gonna do my best that's what works for me--she and I can discuss the issues later when she's not tied up.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 3:18pm
post #38 of 56

I definitly say no more than half. They ate it and you bought them another one out of your pocket money, yeah you did damage it but it was usable and edible. Half at the most, I would start at 25%.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:11am
post #39 of 56

I would say that you have to play Jiminy Cricket and "Let your conscience be your guide". Only you know what the cake looked like after being repaired. Was it 100%. If so, no refund. If you believe the cake was only 50%, give her a 50% refund. Just my thoughts. I wouldn't lose money on the cake no matter what.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #40 of 56

Cakes Devine. I too would be curious to know which state has a case law on this topic and wonder if it is the same state where this "disaster" occurred which would immediately solve the issue. However, it has been great to read what others would do.

I think Indydebi handled her situation with grace and class. And most importantly she effectively communicated the issue at the wedding and proactively offered a resolution that the bride could live with. That was a creative solution and quick thinking on your feet Indydebi!

What we don't know from the original email is whether the cake was dropped off without an explanation, while the damaged tier was left - was it in shape to be serves or left to show the bride the extent of the damage, is she really a bridezilla or difficult or this situation made her angry, etc. Perhaps, all of these may have set the tone for the bride wanting 100%. Regardless of all these factors and the limited info we have, I think we all agree that some refund is in order. So we are all on the same page regarding that which is a good thing.

I hope she will let us know what she decides to do. I am very curious.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #41 of 56

I recall quite some time ago, on People's Court or Judge Judy or Judge Somebody, a case was presented and was resolved in favor of the decorator...Seems like it was the auburn-haired, female judge....

I don't think a particular law was involved but more the judge's own decision(as she saw fit) in the case.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 1:51pm
post #42 of 56

I'm SO sorry this happened to you. I think you have lots of opinions on refunds, so I won't add mine.

Jen

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 13 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #43 of 56

So sorry that after such a long and glorious run this had to happen, you have been given a lot of advice here so I am just going to say Good Luck and wait to read the outcome! princess.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I recall quite some time ago, on People's Court or Judge Judy or Judge Somebody, a case was presented and was resolved in favor of the decorator...Seems like it was the auburn-haired, female judge....

I don't think a particular law was involved but more the judge's own decision(as she saw fit) in the case.

it was judge judy...you can see the clip on youtube......

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:17pm
post #45 of 56

here ya go

Icing2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icing2009 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:29am
post #46 of 56

I agree with Indydebi, you should only refund for that teir. I think if everybody steps back and actually puts themselves in that position and realize that they worked hard on it, I think you would think alot differently than the full refund. I agree some refund is due but no more than that bottom teir since they ate it and you tried to redeem yourself. Like someone else said,I think she got caught up in spending for her wedding and now wants money back so she can use it for something else ( I spend like that all the time but also realize that I am stuck with what I have done, I can't go taking things back everywhere just because I need money). Yes this is the woman's big day and want it to be perfect, but nothing is EVER perfect even though you want it to be. Like someone else said, they need to be thinking of who they ar going to be waking up to the next day and for the rest of their lives. No more than the bottom teir for the refund, please don't give in, not everybody is going to like something from you no matter what it is and how hard you try so don't worry about that ONE bad reference, just provide a portfolio and references from others and if you are that confident then tell them about your mishap. It's not the end of the world, don't let it drag you down because you have 28 yrs of good references and great cakes behind you and many more to come, so don't let that one hurt you. The best of luck to you in this situation and hope you go on to do more great cakes! Remember the bottom teir as a refund, stick to your guns! Let us know what happened!

tlcelebrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcelebrations Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #47 of 56

Thank you to all for all of your wise and wonderful advice. I did give the bride a full refund on her wedding cake, I did however not refund for the sheet cake or the delivery and set-up. I have not heard from the bride since she cashed the check. I'm am hoping that this has set her mind at ease and will not trash talk me or my business. Giving her the refund has set my mind at ease at least, I know I did the best I could, but in the end the cake was not what she had ordered! Thanks again for all your great advice on this. And happy caking to you all!!!!

SassyBees2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBees2 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:47am
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcelebrations

Thank you to all for all of your wise and wonderful advice. I did give the bride a full refund on her wedding cake, I did however not refund for the sheet cake or the delivery and set-up. I have not heard from the bride since she cashed the check. I'm am hoping that this has set her mind at ease and will not trash talk me or my business. Giving her the refund has set my mind at ease at least, I know I did the best I could, but in the end the cake was not what she had ordered! Thanks again for all your great advice on this. And happy caking to you all!!!!

I am happy you did what you felt was best. icon_smile.gif Sorry you had to go through this.

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:14am
post #49 of 56

Business like speaking I would say a 50% refund would cover the 'damage' and drama. In my opinion it would be a fair deal.
But... not everything is black and white, I guess, and from your experience (first disaster in 28 years), the reputation that you have built and your own peace of mind, I would give a full refund.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #50 of 56

I ahd the same issue this past weekend.
i was to deliver a cake to the keys and the middle tiers fondant came completely off in transit... due to 80% humidity and construction on Overseas Highyways and US1...
I repaired the cake on site, but with icing not fondant...
The cake was intact when i left but the couple says that the cake didnt last an hour with out melting... IT WAS OUTSIDE...

I offered a refund... what shoul i give back... I am not in the business of being a BI%%%... so I am incluined to give back all but the delivery charge... which is 280.00... WHAT do I doooooo?

Help... oh yeah, the cake was a sculpture of a light house ( which was intact.. and it had a handmade cold porcelin figure of the bride the groom, and thier dog ... and also of a ground hog and a clock.... oh yeah an a coastguard life preserver with the couples inital and wedding date... (which i did all for 30.00-the cost of materials... bc i liked the couple...)
if anyone can help me
I have been doing cakes since 2006 and this is the first disaster that i was not able to recover from. I still cry everytime I think about it...

This happened on Tuesday... Ground hogs day...

Help me ... please... i want to give up cakes forever bc of this ...

TinkinpinkSteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkinpinkSteph Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #51 of 56

pinklesley1, I want you to take a look at your website.....you have amazing talent icon_biggrin.gif . I hope to one day be as great as you are....I live in Miami too so you can't really blame the terrible humidity we have here on yourself. You tried your best to fix the problem and with no time to spare might I add. To give yourself peace of mind I would give a partial refund or as you said refund the cake minus delivery cost. You can't let something like this get to you!!!

Good Luck with your desicion and do what you feel is right!

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i agree with bel_anne... she deserves a full refund. yes, you worked hard and tried to make it be the best you could. but it was not what she paid for. and you feel you deserve something.. but in the end. you will receive more that the fee of the wedding cake.. peace of mind.. that you did the right thing.. more and better things will come your way.. hth

If you go to a restaurant and order steak but get chicken instead and STILL eat it, you gotta pay for that chicken! Same here. IF it was not what she ordered and she didn't want to pay for any of it then the cake should not have been eaten.

A refund is in order but NOT a full refund. 50% is more than enough.

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

If I go into the grocery and I want a certain brand milk, and they don't have it, do I get the other brand for free, cause it's not exactly what I wanted?

This is not the same thing. With the milk thing, the milk was not ALREADY paid for, so that an illigitimate comparison. Also, a gallon of milk is not the same as somebody's wedding cake. The bride AlREADY paid for her cake, she did not get what she paid for, so in cases like this, all of the money needs to be refunded. In cases like this, is does not matter if the bride served the cake or not, she really had no other choice, except to have no cake at all. If you run a business, and somebody pays you for something, and you are unable to give them what they paid for, give them thier money back! It's just good business.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #54 of 56

Just wanted to make you smile by sharing a story. lol My wedding dress didn't fit on my wedding day and I had the measurements taken and everything. I didn't go back to the shop and ask for a refund. I had to make it work. lol Just wanted to make you laugh.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #55 of 56

Maybe contracts need to say, "100% refunds will ONLY be given if cake is 100% damaged or uneaten. If cake is damaged but still used for display or dessert purposes, a full refund will not be given." Course, have fun explaining that clause to a someone at a consultation.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i agree with bel_anne... she deserves a full refund. yes, you worked hard and tried to make it be the best you could. but it was not what she paid for. and you feel you deserve something.. but in the end. you will receive more that the fee of the wedding cake.. peace of mind.. that you did the right thing.. more and better things will come your way.. hth

If you go to a restaurant and order steak but get chicken instead and STILL eat it, you gotta pay for that chicken! Same here. IF it was not what she ordered and she didn't want to pay for any of it then the cake should not have been eaten.

A refund is in order but NOT a full refund. 50% is more than enough.

I would much sooner return to/say excellent things about a restaurant that acknowledged their mistake and gave me my meal at a HUGE discount, if not for free, than I would for one that said "well you ate, so you are paying for it anyway." Besides, a restaurant could always take the chicken back and make me my steak...this bride didn't have the option to get her cake the way she ordered it. I'm sure it was delicious cake, and the tiers she had on the table were nice, but it was not what she payed for and what was she to do, say NO to the cake and serve nothing? I think the OP did right by the bride and her business's name. Sure she may not have had to legally, but it was the more personable, less legalistic business thing to do. So sorry it happened to you though! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%