Need Help W/ideas For A 40Th Birthday Cake To Feed 200!!!

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm by artscallion

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:46am
post #31 of 44

Now to me cupcakes would be a whole lot more work than doing a cake. I mean you have to ice each one INDIVIDUALLY! PITB if you ask me.
I say ...WALMART...or Costco...They will even write her name on the cake in bold overthetop colors...lol

ariun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ariun Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:25pm
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

I say ...WALMART...or Costco...They will even write her name on the cake in bold overthetop colors...lol

And... it might even get on Cake Wrecks!! What more could she want? icon_biggrin.gif

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #33 of 44

I replied to them telling them to give me a price of what they could spend and I would tell them what I could make.

I gave him a really REALLY good price on a 3 tier, with 4 10" rounds on the side, and then he came back saying that he did not need to feed all 250 people.
Umm, if you invite that many, you should have at least close to that amt of cake.

People are just tacky. If you can't afford a aparty and all aspects of it, don't have it, and don't waste my time.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:13pm
post #34 of 44

Oh that is SO tacky. "Everybody doesn't need to eat." "I don't need to bring a gift!"

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #35 of 44

If i'm not eating, why am i coming? Don't like you THAT much!

lecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecie Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #36 of 44

walmart, please!! You mean do it yourself cake. I got family members who does that, too. Will pay others, and will not pay you for your work. They think I should be doing it for free. You need to let her know you can not make a cake to feed 200 people for that kind of money. If it was someone else she will pay the price. That is not cool.

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #37 of 44

Wow, These people are really expecting alot for so little. I think Walmart or Costco would probably be their best bet and your saving grace.

Panchis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panchis Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:09pm
post #38 of 44

That would be funny lol....if you tell her to go to Wally-World...

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:59pm
post #39 of 44

when it comes to cake they think that is just eggs and flour....they don't see the job that involves to make a beautiful cake as you all do...just like everyone said tell her to go and check at walmart ...

I love your signiture LaBellaFlor

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 11:43pm
post #40 of 44

I was in the same boat just last month my husbands grand son is getting married they wanted cake to feed 150 people and the grooms cake i said i would do it for 225.00.And here it come we really want you to do the cake you bake the best tasting cake bla bla bla. well guess what that was to high but i didnt back down and of course they went some where else oh well.. If you do it for one you have to do it for everyone and you get what you pay for.. Hope the cateror makes a cake just what they payed for if you know what i mean....the supplies doesnt come cheap i will stop doing cakes before i give them away..just got to stick to your guns..They do nothing for me free..got to know his family lol..but my hubby backed me up.. the wedding is sat. let you know about the cake..

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:32am
post #41 of 44

HeavenlyDelights, so what happened in the end, just curious as i've been watching this topic...

Cheers,
Cindy

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:56am
post #42 of 44

Good luck with the pricing drama. Sheeezz. Some people. If you do make the cake...I'm turning 40 next month. I'd be totally happy with something with a lot less "bling". Maybe a stripe piped along the bottom of each tier (mimicking a ribbon). It would be a lost less work, and simple sounds perfect for this cake. Good luck with it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:00am
post #43 of 44

heavenlydelights - i dont think you can accuse these people of trying to waste your time, when despite knowing their budget, you keep offering to find ways to make this budget work for them! you know what you can do - if you cant be within their budget for their dream cake, tell them flat out.

are you a business, legal, set up to make money? if so, then a family discount (husbands cousin, for the cousins friend? i dont know many people who'd spent that on a present for a friend - if they are ordering on behalf of the friend, then to me, no discount) is not a massive discount that will put you at a loss. what true friend would want that for you anyway?

also your price is your price. yes, some will accept it, some wont - i just hope you tell the ones who try to haggle (like this cousin) where to go. your costs dont change just cause they have X budget.

what was the really good price you gave him, that he still thinks is too much? and if he is happy not to have enough cake for everyone, thats his problem. $200 doesnt get much cake, and if he is happy with it, at least you have the chance to make a profit.
xx

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm
post #44 of 44

Thread of the year. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%