Red?

Decorating By erilay Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 4:49am by luvmysmoother

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 11

How do i get a nice true red. X-mas red? I don't want to use so much dye bc it is hard to work with and starts to taste funny.

Anything I can add to a red to enhance it?

10 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 11

I use Wilton's no taste red, but have only gotten it dark pink. (See Asian themed cake in my pics - I used 2 Wiltons no taste to about 5-6 cups of icing, it darkens a bit after sitting a few hours) It's sort of red I guess. Didn't taste funny, like other reds. Other option would be an airbrush. Or I've heard others put a little black in their icing to darken it, but I've never tried that.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 11

I just asked a similiar question in the general folder. Are you using BC or fondant? For fondant, we decided it was best to just buy the red Satin Ice. For Buttercream, I don't know if there is an easy solution. I made a red cake about a year ago and have purposefully not made another one since! It takes a TON of red to get it to the right color. You need more powdered sugar to keep it thick, but then you're basically adding white to it. Does anyone sell red BC?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 11

Americolor doesn't taste funny. It does take a lot of color to get a true red. I used Wilton's no taste red once and only once, because it involved sending someone to the store to buy two more pots of red in a real hurry. LOL You probably use half the amount in Americolor. But, keep in mind any time you want a dark or rich color it takes a lot. Unless you can air brush it on. Red icing turns everything red like those little red tabs the dentists used to bring into elementary school to show you how to brush your teeth better.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

I would agree that buying Red Satin Ice fondant would be the best way to go. But I use Americolor Super Red and it is awesome! I tried all the wilton red's several months ago- I had to use so much you could taste it and i still only managed a deep pink. Americolor is the way to go. Start with pink and then add the red. You can achieve the color much faster that way.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 11

Americolor Super Red is great. If you can't get it near you, you can order it online. Also, Super Black!

erilay Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much. I lke the idea of staring with pink. I have tried adding black and it hust makes it a wierd red.
It is to late to buy the red fondant.

Maybe I will just do green and gold.
Anyone have a suggestion for a x-mas cake.
I am doing a 12 and 10 sq.
I was planing on making them into packages using gold and red. Maybe a bit pf green.

Any ideas or color schemes?

Thanks

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 11

You can try googling christmas package or christmas present cake. I do that a lot with things I am looking for. All kinds of awesome pictures show up. icon_smile.gif

erilay Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:18am
post #9 of 11

wow Jamie ! thanks...

I take back the answer to your question.

tiwi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiwi Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #10 of 11

Sams sell the colors in buttercream, i used to do it but im going to use a lot I purchase already done specially the red and black and is only 14.00 dollars

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 11

I personally don't enjoy adding shortening to my fondant but if I'm making red or black I'll cave in and do it because it will strongly intensify the red and black colour (of fondant - not sure about buttercream)icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%