Your Very First "decorated" Cake!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm by chefbarbie0513

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #31 of 39

This was my first ever attempt at making a cake. I didn't even start with BC just went right to fondant..lol ...pretty happy with it too. It was for my daughter's birthday in August of 2006. I've come a long way since then.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #32 of 39

Wow, I am just AMAZED by how far Edna has come. I hope I can get that far in a few more years.

Great cakes everyone!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:45pm
post #33 of 39

Mine was a fan shaped cake that I decorated during my class at community college. I can't find the picture.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #34 of 39

My first "decorated" cake dates back to when I was 15.. I'm 46 now so that tells you how long ago I caught this bug! I still have a picture, but my scanner is not working so I will have to describe to you a Wilton heart-shaped cake (still have the pans) frosted pink for Valentines Day. At the point of the heart, I piped stems and added drop flowers. I continued caking until my boys were around 10 --they had the typical cakes ranging from Beatrix Potter (a book opened to a page from Benjamin Bunny - my oldest is a Ben-) to Jurassic Park until they started wanting traditional German Chocolate. Life got busy and I put my tips, etc. away for about ten years. When I started suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome, a friend suggested I get my cake stuff back out and use it as therapy. GOOD ADVICE!!! A lot had happened in the cake world -- I didn't even know about fondant, gumpaste, and all the amazing mediums from which I now can choose. So, long story short, about 2 1/2 years ago, I started all over again teaching myself how to use fondant and all the other magnificent techniques one sees here on CC. It s truly amazing how far you can go in a relatively short time!

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #35 of 39

I started last February with Wilton Courses and this was my first cake. I thought it was sooooo cool...hahaha, not anymore. I look at it and laugh. I hope to get better and better and laugh at the cakes I am doing nowicon_smile.gif It's true that you get better with practice. I think I learn something new with every cake I do.
LL

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:06pm
post #36 of 39

I started making decorated cakes for my kids because of allergies. I knew nothing of icing or tips or leveling. I stood and watched the decorators at the Publix bakery and then went to party city and bought my first tip and bag and icing color. I used canned icing and lots and lots of layons and sprinkles. I did pipe blue and her green and orange cake with a candle(what was I thinking?) LOL But it looks like he was happy and that is what I remember most. He had a great birthday with loads of friends.
LL
LL

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #37 of 39

I had done a few regular cakes before but this is my first attempt at a 3D cake. I made it in March of 2001 to celebrate my (future) husband's b-day & the opening of his computer business.

It was a box carrot cake with canned icing. Somehow it actually stood (only thru God's grace since I had never even heard of a dowel rod) until my (future) MIL decided to try and move the monitor portion of the cake and broke the back off. I had to wrap the sides in aluminum covered cardboard and put it at a 45 degree angle before my DH even got to see it. icon_sad.gif
LL

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #38 of 39

It has now been 1 year since I started decorating cakes with no wilton classes or personal training. I learned most everything from Youtube until I found this site icon_biggrin.gif
LL

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #39 of 39

This was my 1st cake. I hadnt had any classes yet.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%