Need Help With Blending A Fondant Seam

Decorating By EvelynsNana Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 6:20pm by EvelynsNana

EvelynsNana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvelynsNana Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

I'm using Satin Ice fondant (thank you all for that suggestion!) and am in a bit of a hurry and tried a short cut instead of re-rolling the entire fondant piece, I tried to seam the pieces together, but now I have this ugly seam and can't seem to make it go away and this particular cake wont have any added decorations that will be able to cover the seam.

Any suggestions or have I simply crashed and burned on this one???

Thanks! Btw, I love this site. I haven't asked many questions or gotten very involved yet because I'm spending to much time on here reading everything!!

4 replies
muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe you could "spackle" the seam with RI and then smooth it with a little bit of water? I do this sometimes to fill cracks and holes... it works well... icon_smile.gif Good luck!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 5

I fill the seam with royal icing and then smooth with my finger to remove any extra icing. The seam disappears.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

I use MFF and if I have a seam or small tear here's what I do... take a small piece of fondant and add either shortening or water to it. Mix it together until it reaches a paste consistency. (I do this in the palm of my hand using my fingers to mix it.) Then I push it into the seam and smooth it with my finger. Sometimes you can't even tell where the seam was unless you look very very close. I like to do this with colored fondant because it can be difficult to match the color exactly with RI or buttercream.

EvelynsNana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvelynsNana Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome! I will give this a try. It's simply white fondant so either way will work but I'm printing this out and putting it in my cake binder for reference next time. Thank you all so much!! Have a great day, I know I will now!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%