What Homemade Cake Tools Do You Use?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 3:55pm by BillieH

smitakasargod Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:37am
post #1 of 55

I have to start this thread because there are so many wonderful ideas floating about.
I recently asked what I could use to get a corduroy texture and got some wonderful answers. I finally used a corrugated cardboard that came inside a chocolate box.
I also use plastic spoons as flower formers and to keep the round shape of the heads on my fondant figures.
Straws and pvc pipes are well known for supports. I would love to hear some more money-saving ideas.

54 replies
anamado Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:32am
post #2 of 55

I used straws with spoons on top to make scales...
You can see them here in replay #5
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6125031-.html#6125031

Meg147 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:37am
post #3 of 55

As much as I love buying all the fancy tools & cutters etc., I do feel exceptionally proud when I hunt around my kitchen for something else to use, it's such a challenge!

I use lids off my spice jars/colouring pastes (after cleaning thoroughly of course) to get shapes. I make my own templates by printing pics off internet then cutting & laminating them - these are used to carve around to get the shape I want from the cakes ie scooby, as opposed to using the shaped pans. I use my kitchen utensils for all manner of shape creation. Place fondant into food bag then put textured materials on the top & roll to get a the effect.

As a newbie, each time I do a cake I learn/try something new each time so I'm looking forward to the replies on this post! icon_biggrin.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 55

I use a credit card (CLEAN) to smooth the sides of my cakes. Works wonderfully, and very economical.

babykonst Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 55

im really new to cake decorating and i still dont have a turntable to ice my cakes, well i was doing a cake on the weekend so a light bulb came on in my head, i used the turntable from my microwave (after cleaning it ofcouse!!) it worked like a dream!!!

smitakasargod Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

im really new to cake decorating and i still dont have a turntable to ice my cakes, well i was doing a cake on the weekend so a light bulb came on in my head, i used the turntable from my microwave (after cleaning it ofcouse!!) it worked like a dream!!!

I use a 5$ lazy susan from walmart too as a turntable for my cake.
The fish is wonderful anamado.

Marianna46 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 55

Anamado, love your fish. I, too, used a lazy susan till I got a turntable. My mom used to make cookie cutters from the metal strip left over from opening a coffee can (I don't think they open that way anymore, more's the pity).

(Edited for punctuation.)

motherofgrace Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 55

i use a quilt cutter to cut my fondant.... cheaper then the actual one

Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:19am
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I use a credit card (CLEAN) to smooth the sides of my cakes. Works wonderfully, and very economical.

I love this one, sorry I'm gonna have to pinch your idea too - Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Meg147 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:21am
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

Ditto my above post - I'm having this one too, Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Limpy Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 55

I use paint stirrers on either side of my fondant to gauge the thickness when rolling. When I am making cookies, I take two wooden paint stirrers,join them at either end with an elastic & this makes the perfect,uniform thickness all the time. Almost roll the dough to the thickness,place sticks on either side,roll. The rolling pin cannot go below the sticks. Works as the same principle as the Wilton rolling pin rings, but with no cost involved.Learned this from a cake decorating instructor.

AverageMom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 55

I use a lot of things from the painting aisle at Canadian Tire. I have a plastic corner guide that I use to smooth the buttercream, an old geometry set to mark the distances and make impressions, and a candle sconce to make a really cool fondant impression.

tatorchip Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 55

I cut the water gal. jugs when empty and use to put my fundant things on when placing on cake. It is thin, sticks good to my bc icing.

1. Place straws in cake
2. Place cut plastic (cut from water Jug) on top of straws
3. Place fondant item on top

I cut the plastic almost to the shape of item and also works great for my rkt items also.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1473087.html

anamado love your pink fish and this thread

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

I make my own templates by printing pics off internet then cutting & laminating them ! icon_biggrin.gif

I never thought about laminating them!!!
I do the same thing for fonts for toppers but I print it on card stock. I think I'm gonna make a trip to the copy place and get them laminated! thumbs_up.gif

My homemade tool is actually a borrowed idea from my days working with clay.
I made a fondant cutter by using fishing line tied to 2 wooden dowels.
It slices thru fondant like butter and lets me take off as much or as little as I need, leaving a nice clean cut.
It eliminated the need to microwave a entire batch of mmf to get it soft enough to pull off the amount I needed.

It looks like this-

http://www.dickblick.com/products/kemper-wire-clay-cutters/

CookieMeister Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 55

I am so glad for this post. I was just complaining the other day that my turntable is too small and I need a bigger one.

I have a table-top wooden lazy Susan that came with my eat-in kitchen table! DUH. I can use that.

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 55

CakeMommy, that's quite the avatar you have! icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

smitakasargod Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 55

That's a great idea CakeMommyTX...I'm a potter too but never thought to use the clay cutter for fondant. I'm forever struggling to slice through the big bucket of satin ice.

milkmaid42 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:39am
post #18 of 55

I am so delighted to see this thread! I always take great pleasure in making whatever I can. One of my favorite things was inspired from an article here on CC, back in July I think. It was a tutorial on making you own cookie cutters. (http:www.cakecentral.com/article73.html) I printed it out but I don't know to whom I should give the credit. At any rate, I figured why couldn't the same procedure make flower gumpaste cutters? I have several catalogs of cutters I was dying to obtain, you know those things you hope each month you can afford? I drew the outlines and with the help of medical mosquito forceps--the locking type--and needle nose pliers, I went to town. The most difficult was several sizes of maple leaves but there is no way I can make poppy leaves... I have quite a collection now. I use them gently and so far they are holding up well.
I look forward to seeing and employing new tips and ideas you all suggest. Love this site!

anamado Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #19 of 55

I want to thank you all girls on your compliments about my tutorial. Thanks, it really means a lot to me. icon_redface.gif

But still going back to it, although not to my credit, I'd like to mention the GREAT HOME MADE TOOL is used in it, discovered by Melvira.
The melvira method is here on CC http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method
And it uses a very cheap painting tool: the foam roller.

I have also made cutters using the sides of a cookie tin lid. I cut the strip with an old scissors. Then I cover the cutting side of the strip with duct tape (I don't know if this is the real name in English, it's a thin plastic transparent adhesive strip) to prevent nasty accidents icon_smile.gif. Then I just shape it with pliers. I never take back the tape and it cuts perfectly!

tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:06am
post #20 of 55

I love the plastic spoons for shaping some flowers. Aluminum Foil comes really handy too.

Edna icon_smile.gif

ramie7224 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #21 of 55

I use different lengths and thicknesses of PVC pipe to roll out fondant (clean of course!) and I use dental floss to cut off smaller pieces. When I have leftover small pieces of different colored fondant I put them in old, washed play-doh containers. I have a multitude of different colored lids, so I wrap the fondant in plastic wrap, pop it in the container and top with the correctly colored lid.

Melchas Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #22 of 55

What a great idea ramie7224! my son loves playdoh and I am constantly throwing out his empty containers. I won't be doing that any more! What a great way to organize!! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:55am
post #23 of 55

i also use straws of various sizes, i cut one end in half, leaving it in the shape of a c, then i use it for smiles, closed eyes and other imprinting on fondant figures.
I use little medicine cups for making my luster dust into paste with alcohol, then when im done just let it dry in the cup. any dust left behind dries on the cup but the next time you use it you can scrape it down and reuse it. so i keep one for silver and one for gold.
i have some acrylic knitting needles that work like cel-sticks.

its great to hear what others use from around the house.

anamado Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 9:12am
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

(...) I use little medicine cups for making my luster dust into paste with alcohol, then when im done just let it dry in the cup. any dust left behind dries on the cup but the next time you use it you can scrape it down and reuse it. so i keep one for silver and one for gold.
(...)

LOOOOVE this idea!!!!

gingersoave Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:53am
post #25 of 55

one of my students brought in an herb cutter and was using it to cut small strips of fondant for the curlies that you see on packages. LOVE THIS! Its at target for around $4-$5. worth every penny! I use it to cut strips for everything!! I believe it cuts about 5-6 strips all at once!!!

GREAT post!!!

tonedna Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:12pm
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

(...) I use little medicine cups for making my luster dust into paste with alcohol, then when im done just let it dry in the cup. any dust left behind dries on the cup but the next time you use it you can scrape it down and reuse it. so i keep one for silver and one for gold.
(...)

LOOOOVE this idea!!!!

I used baby food containers for this same thing. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

smitakasargod Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm
post #27 of 55

Loooove the erb cutter & medicine cup/baby food jar ideas. Gotta use them.icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:38pm
post #28 of 55

I'm still a big believer in using an empty Pringle's can to hold the icing bag while I fill it. No mess, no fuss! icon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:05pm
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm still a big believer in using an empty Pringle's can to hold the icing bag while I fill it. No mess, no fuss! icon_lol.gif

I do the same thing with a glass, fold the bag over the rim and it keeps it nice and open for me while I fill.

I also use baby food jars like tonedna for my tylose glue and dusts.

milkmaid42 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #30 of 55

I use several Pringle cans to hold various sizes of floral wires. They are out on my decorating table (Spray painted to match my decor) and the size of the wire in written on each. Helps to locate the proper size and color of the wire needed.
I, too, use both baby food jars and medicine cups for dust/vodka. I love the idea using an herb cutter. I have one in my kitchen and never thought to use it. Sometimes it takes another to point out the obvious! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%